Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 86 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
    Will there be another "pool shark"?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    I think you may need to come to terms with the idea that not everyone shoots the way you do and not everyone thinks of this as a non-issue. For someone used working with cameras that have longer run times, it IS a consideration. I know there are work arounds, which is fine for me, but I empathize with people who would like more time out of an internal battery.

I’m not saying I agree with everyone about every complaint that has already been leveled against this unreleased camera, but I at least try to understand them.
    It's not a "Frank-thing", it's an industry thing. Pretty much any rig will have a V-lock mount - The whole idea of an internal battery is a joke. People are already complaining about the size of the camera, imagine if they would have added a giant tumor of a battery on the side of it. The size-people would have a heart attack, the battery-people (who are also the size-people) would complain about the size and ergonomics, and the industry people would look at the V-lock plate on their camera / shoulder rig and --- Complain about the size..

The fact that we have a small internal battery compartment means if you really need to go out and nab a shot or two, you can. And if you want to, you can grab a couple of extra batteries and get more shots.
    I remember the first set I worked on back in the day, the camera department had a generator dedicated to powering the camera when we were shooting exteriors.
    I guess what I'm saying is that what some people might see as "Workarounds" - Others see as obvious accessories. Whether that be a V-mount plate or a thousand extra batteries.

We're shooting RAW here. There are cameras out there the size of this one and smaller with way better battery life. But they definitely don't shoot RAW or power an internal 5" fullHD monitor. It's all about the right tool for the right job.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    It's not a "Frank-thing", it's an industry thing. Pretty much any rig will have a V-lock mount - The whole idea of an internal battery is a joke. People are already complaining about the size of the camera, imagine if they would have added a giant tumor of a battery on the side of it. The size-people would have a heart attack, the battery-people (who are also the size-people) would complain about the size and ergonomics, and the industry people would look at the V-lock plate on their camera / shoulder rig and --- Complain about the size..

The fact that we have a small internal battery compartment means if you really need to go out and nab a shot or two, you can. And if you want to, you can grab a couple of extra batteries and get more shots.
    I remember the first set I worked on back in the day, the camera department had a generator dedicated to powering the camera when we were shooting exteriors.
    I guess what I'm saying is that what some people might see as "Workarounds" - Others see as obvious accessories. Whether that be a V-mount plate or a thousand extra batteries.

We're shooting RAW here. There are cameras out there the size of this one and smaller with way better battery life. But they definitely don't shoot RAW or power an internal 5" fullHD monitor. It's all about the right tool for the right job.
    That was great.

I would just add that everyone would love all these things people are complaining about. Battery life, tilt screens, nd's, weatherproofing, larger chip, autofocus etc. etc. etc. I'd love it all too. But the price is $1000 with a copy of $300 resolve. Thats the price range they've decided to live in. Not $1500 not $2000, not $3000. If you want all those things theres cameras like the Canon C200 at $7500.

Also the fact that they knew these complaints were coming, they added a 12v lemo connector (they never say lemo but they did say pro camera 2 pin locking connector) so you can power it up for hours and USB c so you can record for hours cheaply and a full size hdmi for add on evf or tilt screen.. In a way they really diid give us everything. Come on what more could they do for us for the price they're asking?

And if you want more battery time this an affordable option using Sony L batterries. 7.2v to 12v conversion with lemo connector.

https://store.nebtek.com/dv-adapters...o_arri_pin_out
    Last edited by mico; 04-13-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Back in my ENG shooting days, we al ways carried two spare batteries for interviews with the ENG camera, which were about 2lbs each. NiCad Bricks GoldMounts gen 1. They lasted linger the thr old NP batteries, but still sent flat in about 30 min. Now I can carry four Cannon E6 batteries in my pocket, and get the same recording times. Works for me.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zolac View Post
    the camera does have bluetooth like the URSA Mini Pro, so remote start/stop can be done that way.
    Curious. Does anyone make a Bluetooth start/stop button you can strap to a tripod handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    What cinema cameras have image stabilization?

None, because it's inferior.

OIS is best!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
    ND's could slow things off a bit if you are in the field.
    I solved that with the following. Works great.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_pro_kit.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ter_pouch.html

Back when film was a thing and I was shooting with Arri SR2’s I’d be tethered to a dolly pack that was basically a car battery if I wanted a battery that would last more than 40 minutes, and those batteries were heavy as sin. As long as it gives an accurate battery reading I’m happy, the Pocket would go from 90% to 60% to 14% in the blink of an eye.. LP-E6 are cheap and easy to come by and take seconds to swap out. AND the option to use Lemo or USB-C for additional solutions, let alone any dummy/battery grip/v-mount options that will inevitably come out. This thing will eat power going 4K raw.

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    Come on what more could they do for us for the price they're asking?
    Deliver on-time and bug free.

I was under the impression that raw was generally easier to record than some of the compressed files from panasoinc, Sony etc but just came at a bigger data rate?