Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 103 of 111 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1104
    Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller7 View Post
    In honesty as a colorists, when you look very closely at the hue data, the color resolution is actually VERY low, on this cam, better than DSLR, but cameras like RED and ALEXA have about 6x more color resolution in the final image. I am not sure if its the bayer filters they are using or the simple debayer algorithm stored in the DNG's but this is what I am disappointed about because blackmagic has had 5 years to fix it, its literally the only thing seperating the image coming from from competing with alexa and red more closely is the lower color resolution and color noise present.
    As Shijan alluded to above - at what stage are you looking at the hue data?
    If you are looking at it at the BMD RAW level then Shijan's explanation becomes relevant.
    I have a partner who works primarily Alexa and when he gets Blackmgic footage he immediately applies a couple of preliminary transform nodes and then an ARRI LUT and then it's in the Alexa colorspace and he treats it as such.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I wonder way BM hasn't released any footage yet... It doesn't have to be something big and impressive. A few shots made in the street would have been great.

On a side note, I really hope they nail the 'mojo', which for me is the most important aspect of the image. It's the motion cadence, the motion blur, the stutter when shooting 24p. This is what I find truly filmic. Dynamic range and great color come second.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

Early days yet...
    Cheers

So with a metabones SB on the BMP4K, the effective sensor size is larger than the URSA as I understand it. What exactly is the effective sensor size then?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    So with a metabones SB on the BMP4K, the effective sensor size is larger than the URSA as I understand it. What exactly is the effective sensor size then?
    Sensor size does not change when adding a speedbooster, only the field of view. It would appear to be wider than the ursa and the ursa mini.

Quote Originally Posted by obiectivstudio View Post
    Sensor size does not change when adding a speedbooster, only the field of view. It would appear to be wider than the ursa and the ursa mini.
    Ah... so let's say on a 50mm EF lens, how much wider is the FOV of a BMPC4K with the speed booster compared to the URSA Mini 4K or 4.6K?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Ah... so let's say on a 50mm EF lens, how much wider is the FOV of a BMPC4K with the speed booster compared to the URSA Mini 4K or 4.6K?
    Well, the ursa mini has a crop factor of 1.42 and the pocket 4k has 1.9. (this would be in comparison with photography full frame).
    So by adding a speedbooster the 50 focal lenght would be as follows:
    Speedboster ultra 0.71 x 1.9 = 1.34 so 67mm
    Speedboster xl 0.64 x 1.9 = 1.21 so 60.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by JackMiller7 View Post
    In honesty as a colorists, when you look very closely at the hue data, the color resolution is actually VERY low, on this cam, better than DSLR, but cameras like RED and ALEXA have about 6x more color resolution in the final image. I am not sure if its the bayer filters they are using or the simple debayer algorithm stored in the DNG's but this is what I am disappointed about because blackmagic has had 5 years to fix it, its literally the only thing seperating the image coming from from competing with alexa and red more closely is the lower color resolution and color noise present.
    I shoot and color BM/RED/Alexa on a daily basis since years, and never found anything even close to "6x more color resolution" anywhere.
    Especially ArriRaw is pretty close to BMs DNGs. It's so close, that BM cameras are our go-to hands-down B-cameras for any Alexa shot, since it intercuts pretty much seamlessly with the Alexa material.

Where does this number come from? How should this even be possible, and where should that magic 6x resolution come from?

Since you said - "the simple debayer algorithm stored in the DNG's" - are you sure, you really understood, how DNGs and debayering works?
    There is no "algorithm" stored in DNGs in the first place.

If you actually see anything like that, I think you have a workflow problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    Now that we have the camera confirmed as existing, I figured itíd be better to start a new thread on it versus it crammed in the NAB predictions thread.

Canít discern much from the banner image but it seems like theyíre keeping with a similar style body. Iím hoping/expecting things like 60FPS and better battery life among other common wants, but do you think itíll support ProRes RAW right away or stick with cDNG? Will it have global shutter? Dynamic range?

Iím like 95% sure I want to sell the UM4K for it once the specs are released.
    Prores Raw at the moment seems to be little shady deal. Let's see how it plays when it's gonna be out in masses.

The problem I see (at least for now) is that you don't have raw controls (like ISO/WB etc.) implemented.
    So it's pretty much useless, from a coloring standpoint, it will color like normal ProRes on the RGB level with your colorwheels only - no serious raw tab. But the whole point of raw is, that you have access to the raw parameters.

Maybe they change that later in FCPX and hopefully in a SDK for other applications.

For now it's only a niche within a niche anyway. Only one NLE on one OS can use it, and it is implemented in zero cameras - so let's wait and see what happens.