Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 122 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1386
    JB, are you able to comment if we're still on track for September?

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    JB, are you able to comment if we're still on track for September?
    JB says it's all good.

So Get on the Good Foot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtO2UYPX7NQ
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    There's no such thing really.

Not like traditional brand ambassadors anyway.

Many brand ambassadors are literally "paid for comment". You pay them a fee, sign a contract, they use your gear and they're obligated to write a certain amount or post a certain amount of content.

Think about some well known bloggers who have advertisements on their sites, links on their videos and some reviews that seem inexplicably positive.

I am an Olympus visionary. Normally this is exactly the contract you make, however, I altered my arrangement so that I don't get paid for content or review but I do loaner equipment and I also do visits to consult with their R&D teams. I also made it very clear that I will always speak my own mind about my opinions when it comes to their equipment. Olympus wanted a cinematographer that uses Olympus gear, and I was already a long time Olympus user (from stills and MFT use) so this arrangement makes sense to me.

I have declined other brand ambassador relationships because they required me to not use any other competing brands. That doesn't work for me.

I enjoy being part of the R&D process and this is also part of what I'm lucky enough to do in an ad hoc basis with my friends at Blackmagic. The reward for me is to be a part of that process, not to be paid. I usually get to keep the pre-production cameras they send me, but they're technically on permanent loan.

They don't have any paid ambassadors. It goes against their practice generally where the gear and the users choosing the gear tend to be the best ambassadors. Look at how they market Resolve.

If you want this role, the best they will do is to offer early access to pre-release equipment.

I believe to qualify for this you have to have already shot some nice pictures using BMD's cameras. Think about what you're trying to propose when you approach them and remember they get hit up many times a day by people just like you.

I know of some that have approached them successfully, but it's usually not as rewarding as many think. It's a lot of thankless work, a massive amount of time that you usually can't talk about because you're under NDA and you get piled on publicly :-)

And the time. Man, it's like a full time job to test things. It's not like you just "play" with it like you would at a trade show. It's dreary time consuming and needs to be verifiable. I don't do much of that kind of beta testing because I just don't have the time to do it properly.

Kristian Lam is the product manager for the 4K and Tim Schuman looks after the Ursa Cameras. PM them on their forums.

JB
    Cheers bud, I opened a thread on it. as I was more just curious if they existed and if so how. There's loadsa bods better than me for it. Hell I even work regularly with some. I knew you were involved with them in your way, just didn't think there was any official ambassadors out there I've seen or was aware of. I know a few bods involved on the Davinci side just never known any on the camera gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    How about a very wide super16 lens? There are very cheap 5mm or 6mm C-mount lenses, not sure if they can be mounted on the p4k or if they will cover the HD crop
    They (UWA S16 lenses) might cover the HD crop, but will not work with the full gate sensor, a 25mm or 50mm S16 lens might work...
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 07-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.

^ Thanks.
    I already have a 12mm and a 50mm for shooting 4k with the whole sensor. What I'm thinking about is getting something like a 6mm just for 120fps wide-angle shots, and well, those s16 lenses are way cheaper than a m43 6mm would be.

I know someone was approached by BMD to be their ambassador, and living so close to their UK head office made it that much easier. His girlfriend told me he turned down the offer. I guess he is a busy man.

Samuel, a 6mm in the HD window mode, would be the same AOV as a 12mm full gate on the new Pocket 4K, so I do not see any reals advantage here. The Oly 12mm f/2.0 is a nice small and not expensive lens, you can pick up used, or one step up and a wider AOV, would be the SLR Magic excellent 10mm Hyperprime. Both will give yiu a nice WA at full gate. Only advance is if yiumwant to shoot the 120fps mode in HD window, then a S16 UWA would work. But the C Mount WAs like the 6mm are not S16mm coverage, and might not cover the HD window. You are going to have to test this out, and let us know.
    Cheers

I believe he is looking at 6mm just for 120fps. I believe the c mount 6mm Kowa covers the full supet16 gate of original pocket, so would not be a problem with the new crop mode. It should be 2/3" so all vintage 16mm glass should cover fine, and many c mount video lenses that were made for a 2/3" standard should also work, but tests will need to be made.

Has there been any confirmation yet of how big the cropped mode actually is?

I'm confused about all this "auto focus" talk. Can you change focus electronically during recording or not? This is otherwise known as pulling focus and is the most basic thing to do in "cinema" if you don't want blurry shit.