Just did an article on the new Pocket, if someone is interested
    (and yeah, that's a shameless plug)

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...-doesnt-mater/
    Good read Frank, thanks for sharing!

Also, I WANT MINE IN BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by JuMo View Post
    Good read Frank, thanks for sharing!

Also, I WANT MINE IN BLUE
    Before reading an article, I've read your words, thinking that a blue colored version will be available in real, and I was really happy for a moment

Yes, nice article!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Just did an article on the new Pocket, if someone is interested
    (and yeah, that's a shameless plug)

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com...-doesnt-mater/
    You mean you don't have "man pockets" for bigger hands

Quote Originally Posted by core_50 View Post
    Before reading an article, I've read your words, thinking that a blue colored version will be available in real, and I was really happy for a moment

Yes, nice article!
    I like stealth grey metallic with gold fleks.
    Surely BMD can do a limted edition?

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    You are mistaking IBIS and EIS. The watery effect is caused by crappy EIS (Electronic IS, basically in-body warp stabilizer). IBIS is where the sensor physically moves around inside the body, and does not (as far as I've ever seen) cause the watery effect.
    I don't think he mixed up the two. IBIS has a rather distinct 'look' to it. It reminds me a bit of the cheap Glidecam sway that was so common in indie films a couple of years ago. Not the way it looks but the way it feels when you see it.

Oh and fantastic article Frank! Really hit the nail on the head

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

I'm a huge fan of IBIS.

It's much better than EIS. And I think in most cases than OIS.

There are certain artefacts of IBIS which you tend to see when you use WIDE lenses. It's a kind of warping where the camera over-corrects. But I've also found if you have a camera where you can over ride this, you can greatly minimise it. So when shooting with say a 12mm shot, I will turn the IBIS down to say 7mm. Sometimes on very static shots I actually turn the IBIS up to a focal length HIGHER than the actual lens I'm shooting with.

To me it looks the same as badly operated gimbal shots where you can feel the rig trying to decide what's an accidental move and what's a deliberate move.

As I understand it, IBIS also gives you more axis of correction than you can have in a lens.

IBIS also makes ANY lens stabilised. You don't need the extra expense of whatever OIS tech was available at the time in the lens. IBIS keeps updating with the body and with MFT you can fit almost any lenses to it. Some 50 year old russian thing is now a stabilized lens !

Here's a thing I shot using an Olympus E-M5 Mark II (4 year old IBIS now). It's ALL HANDHELD. A mix of Olympus lenses and Zeiss superspeeds. The only watery shot in there is on the car mount where I probably should have turned the IBIS off. It didn't like being hard mounted to the car.
    https://vimeo.com/178135545

And here's one with the IBIS beast that is the Olympus EM1 Mark 2. (Same sony sensor family !) Similar shooting conditions, but more SLR magic lenses (including the APO)

https://vimeo.com/227659352

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I'm a huge fan of IBIS.

It's much better than EIS. And I think in most cases than OIS.

There are certain artefacts of IBIS which you tend to see when you use WIDE lenses. It's a kind of warping where the camera over-corrects. But I've also found if you have a camera where you can over ride this, you can greatly minimise it. So when shooting with say a 12mm shot, I will turn the IBIS down to say 7mm. Sometimes on very static shots I actually turn the IBIS up to a focal length HIGHER than the actual lens I'm shooting with.

To me it looks the same as badly operated gimbal shots where you can feel the rig trying to decide what's an accidental move and what's a deliberate move.

As I understand it, IBIS also gives you more axis of correction than you can have in a lens.

IBIS also makes ANY lens stabilised. You don't need the extra expense of whatever OIS tech was available at the time in the lens. IBIS keeps updating with the body and with MFT you can fit almost any lenses to it. Some 50 year old russian thing is now a stabilized lens !

Here's a thing I shot using an Olympus E-M5 Mark II (4 year old IBIS now). It's ALL HANDHELD. A mix of Olympus lenses and Zeiss superspeeds. The only watery shot in there is on the car mount where I probably should have turned the IBIS off. It didn't like being hard mounted to the car.
    https://vimeo.com/178135545

And here's one with the IBIS beast that is the Olympus EM1 Mark 2. (Same sony sensor family !) Similar shooting conditions, but more SLR magic lenses (including the APO)

https://vimeo.com/227659352

JB
    The Olympus EM1 Mark 2 is the only camera I've seen do the watery effect sans EIS. It was the first time I'd actually seen that, and it wasn't with anything extreme like a whip-pan, either, just one of the earliest vids out there from it, with someone walking around slowly. Other than that, I've only seen it on EIS-equipped cameras (especially cellphone videos).

If it's happening on IBIS-only cameras, I'm guessing something else is going on - maybe only in extreme movements like whip-pans, or when combined with a camera with really bad rolling shutter?

Seriously, never seen it in any other condition. And it makes me kind of nauseous.

The default setting has both sensor IBIS and EIS as on. I manually override the default to mode 2 which is sensor only.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    But I've also found if you have a camera where you can over ride this, you can greatly minimise it. So when shooting with say a 12mm shot, I will turn the IBIS down to say 7mm. Sometimes on very static shots I actually turn the IBIS up to a focal length HIGHER than the actual lens I'm shooting with.
    I too, am a big fan of IBIS and agree with everything you said. Setting IBIS to a different focal length from the lens is something I never thought of doing. Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to experiment with this.