Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 109 of 139 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1386
    Q for John Brawley or BMD:

Can the new pocket do lower frame rates, 1-24 fps.

I really, really need this for special effects on a project I want to do. My EOS-M will do it iwth Magic Lantern, so...?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Q for John Brawley or BMD:

Can the new pocket do lower frame rates, 1-24 fps.

I really, really need this for special effects on a project I want to do. My EOS-M will do it iwth Magic Lantern, so...?
    Iíve been asking for this for a very long time. I want control of frame rates to three decimal places.

Ask on the forum !

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I’ve been asking for this for a very long time. I want control of frame rates to three decimal places.

Ask on the forum !

JB
    Interesting. What type of use case do you have in mind for this John?

I'd love to see variable frame rates down to 1fps with a full 360 degree shutter. It seems that the obstacle to achieving this is heat and the possibility of hot pixels though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Interesting. What type of use case do you have in mind for this John?

I'd love to see variable frame rates down to 1fps with a full 360 degree shutter. It seems that the obstacle to achieving this is heat and the possibility of hot pixels though.
    HI Andrew...

Love to see what you get up to with this camera.

Thee decimal places means you can shoot at precise multiples of a project rate, so in a 25 FPS project I could shoot at 6.250FPS or 3.125 an retime to exactly 25 fps sync playback. Combined with a true 180 deg shutter then you get some very interesting effects. This is called step printing. It's the OPPOSITE of short shutter. It gives you a long shutter with sync sound.

Think the opening of Gladiator or Wong Kar Wai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ1fEC67GO4

It would also help in some scenarios where you have a flicker from a monitor. So being able to shoot at shot at 37.876 FPS might be the perfect frame rate to have zero flicker on a monitor or an exit light that's flickering in the back of shot.

In 25 FPS countries you often want to shoot at weird flicker free window frame rates like 33.333 FPS as well.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    This is called step printing. It's the OPPOSITE of short shutter. It gives you a long shutter with sync sound.
    I remember way back when I was studying video production, our Uni had Panasonic M5 S-VHS cameras which had that function built in. It was marketed as a low light feature.

It was activated with a single button click and meant you could shoot at longer shutter rates than 1/50 & 1/25th second. I think it went down to 1/4 sec shutter and created that cool step printing effect that loads of student would use when creating music videos. At the very least, it did help capture images in low light. We thought it was an amazing feature at the time, but I've never seen it built into any other camera since.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    I remember way back when I was studying video production, our Uni had Panasonic M5 S-VHS cameras which had that function built in. It was marketed as a low light feature.

It was activated with a single button click and meant you could shoot at longer shutter rates than 1/50 & 1/25th second. I think it went down to 1/4 sec shutter and created that cool step printing effect that loads of student would use when creating music videos. At the very least, it did help capture images in low light. We thought it was an amazing feature at the time, but I've never seen it built into any other camera since.
    You can do this on an Alexa, they have the ability to dial in a frame rate to three decimal places as well. Obviously for a 24 FPS project, you shoot at 12 or 6 or 3 and don't need the decimal places. But you do need the shutter angle to stay the same.

JB

Hi John,

Do other BMC's have the lower frame rates?

Hi John,

Do other BMC's have the lower frame rates?
    No. They have the "timelapse" feature, but it's different . It's like taking a interval photo with the high shutter speed based on the project frame rate. It isn't a function of the frame rate itself.

JB

Which intervals?

Which intervals?
    From the manual. Page 34

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.co...ras_Manual.pdf

"Time Lapse Interval
    This setting allows you to record a still frame at the following intervals: Frames: 2 - 10
    Seconds: 1 - 10, 20, 30, 40, 50
    Minutes: 1 - 10
    For example, you can set the camera to record a still frame every 10 frames, 5 seconds, 30 seconds, 5 minutes etc.
    The time lapse feature offers many creative options. For example, if the time lapse interval is set to record a frame at 2 frame intervals, this will give your recorded video a high speed effect when played back.
    The format of each still frame is based on your recording format, so if you set the camera to record in ProRes 422 HQ, the time lapse setting will maintain this format. The frame rate will be based on the video frame rate you have set the camera to, i.e., 24fps, so your time lapse footage can be incorporated into your workflow easily.
    When the ‘rec’ button is pressed in time lapse mode, the ‘time lapse record’ icon will replace the standard record icon. The timecode counter updates when a frame of video is recorded, meaning the rate of timecode increments depends on the time lapse interval setting."