Thread: Make RAW look Like ProRes

1. #1 Make RAW look Like ProRes 
    H All

Does anyone have any links or instruction to how to make BlackMagics BMPC4K, look like the prores it outputs? Prores has the perfect film look to me while RAW has just a clinical documentary?? look!

Raw also plays back straight from the SSD while for my system there is no smooth Prores 4k playback. I'm at the beginning in my Grading ventures so, not quite sure how to tackal this, having acess to premiere and davinci. Thanks ao much!

Are you speaking of after you've graded you find prores more appealing than raw? I know prores differs slightly from raw out of camera but if graded similarly with correct white balances I wouldn't think they'd be dramatically too different?

Quote Originally Posted by pringleman View Post
    H All
    Prores has the perfect film look to me while RAW has just a clinical documentary?? look!
    What's your RAW workflow? There really shouldn't be much of a visual difference.

This has been noticed before on other BMD cameras and a "preset" can be made to do just this.

Here is the discussion and the instructions. It looks long and complicated but most of that is just the explanation.
    The fix is basically just using a standard COLORCHECKER card making a preset that you can drop in a node in Resolve.
    A couple of minor adjustments from the drop-down menus are in there too so read it thoroughly.

I'm not sure this will also work the same for BMPC4k RAW, but the principle is sound, so it should.

http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...a-vs-GH5/page5
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Sounds like you are debayering your raw footage into a video gamut and gamma like rec709. Recent Resolve versions will default to the appropriate BMDFilm variant (which is the same look as film mode ProRes), but older Resolve and, iirc, Premiere won't.

Here is where the raw options for gamut and gamma are in Resolve:
    https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/d...071c0dfac1939a