Thread: Quick way to deal with mixed frame rate XML?

1. #1 Quick way to deal with mixed frame rate XML? 
    So I'm currently trying to figure out a seemless way to get the best quality setup for grading in resolve.

The footage is all prores. It includes an interview shot at 25p 4k which is used to crop in on, it also has b-roll shot at 50p 2k, however it also has some on the spot interviews shot unfortunately at 50p.

The edit has to be done in premiere and a round-trip must be made via XML.

Now my issue is two fold. Resolve doesn't seem to interpret the crop correctly and it also has extreme difficulty judging which of the 50p clips are intended for slow motion and which are intended to be normal speed.

Upon importing the XML the project is locked into 25p. Selecting resolve, final cut or final cut x as the fps option upon import causes some shorter 50p clips to become still frames. Selecting none for this resolve assumes all 50p clips to be played and rendered in slow motion.

The edit points are correct but the in and out of each clip slip causing an incorrect moment of the clip to play.

The clip attributes is greyed out and doesn't allow fps changes.

The crops applied in premiere do not translate as mentioned, I unclicked the scale option upon importing.

The importan setting to automatically set project settings was selected.

In the moment the only thing I knew to do was to take all the 50p footage into a new resolve project and reluctantly grade and render the entire source clips, then relink them into premiere. This took too long and too much space.

There must be a way around this right?

Thank you in advance, please be as detailed as possible in any explanations.
    Last edited by Ryanite; 03-24-2018 at 10:22 PM.

There is no simple way around this, since there's no standard how to treat mixed frame rates on different systems.
    Stay in Premiere or switch to Resolve, sorry for the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    There is no simple way around this, since there's no standard how to treat mixed frame rates on different systems.
    Stay in Premiere or switch to Resolve, sorry for the bad news.
    Mmm then I guess my question turns to what's the least worse way around this?

approach the shots like VFX, do the speed changes before editing, and create new masters for the edit/grade at the project frame rate

Exactly, I'd second that.

Quote Originally Posted by dermot shane View Post
    approach the shots like VFX, do the speed changes before editing, and create new masters for the edit/grade at the project frame rate
    Thank you! But what do you mean by doing the speed changes before editing? And what's the process in premiere to create an XML with new master clips cut down at the in/ out points?

Doing the speed changes before editing means transcoding to the right speed and using the new clips for editing.

I can't tell you if that works after the fact, since I left Premiere behind when Adobe started to take my work hostage.