Thread: Canon 10-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 Canon 10-18 
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    623
    Hi guys

    I was trying to find a good wide zoom lens for my UM4.6k. The Tokina 11-16 seems like a favorite of many bmd users, but I was wondering about the cheaper Canon EF-s 10-18. Of course it's cheaper because it's not a fast lens, but I read its optics are superb. Any experience with it?

    Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wollongong, NSW Australia
    Posts
    469
    You could also look at the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8. Pretty decent range for an ultra-wide.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    623
    Yeah, I have my eye on that tokina too, but the Canon is half the price (and I read the Canon optics is stellar). At one point, I was considering one of the Samyang wide lenses, but I wonder if their optics is that much better that compensates for the comfort of having a zoom lens...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Yeah, I have my eye on that tokina too, but the Canon is half the price (and I read the Canon optics is stellar). At one point, I was considering one of the Samyang wide lenses, but I wonder if their optics is that much better that compensates for the comfort of having a zoom lens...
    I have the Canon 10-18mm STM and the Tokina 11-20mm 2.8. The Tokina kills it. I've tested both about 2 years ago. I use my Canon 10-18mm STM when I do location scouting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Puget Sound
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bino View Post
    I have the Canon 10-18mm STM and the Tokina 11-20mm 2.8. The Tokina kills it. I've tested both about 2 years ago. I use my Canon 10-18mm STM when I do location scouting.
    Ha! Same here.
    The Canon STM zooms are okay. They certainly are not a bad lens at all. They're decent "kit" lenses, but I would not call them Professional Lenses.
    I have three of the STM zooms and I also use them for location scouting and snapshots when I'm out hiking and such.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    2,791
    David, as long as you are investing in some good glass, you might consider saving a little more and getting the Tokina Cine version of this lens.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    David, as long as you are investing in some good glass, you might consider saving a little more and getting the Tokina Cine version of this lens.
    Cheers
    Denny,

    Any optical advantage on the cine version or just the usual mechanical bonus? (No click aperture, focus the "right way", etc).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Ha! Same here.
    The Canon STM zooms are okay. They certainly are not a bad lens at all. They're decent "kit" lenses, but I would not call them Professional Lenses.
    I have three of the STM zooms and I also use them for location scouting and snapshots when I'm out hiking and such.
    You're correct, they are better than the old versions. I have the 50, 24, 55-250, 10-18 and 18-135. Lol. I use them on my Canon 70D.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Denny,

    Any optical advantage on the cine version or just the usual mechanical bonus? (No click aperture, focus the "right way", etc).

    I read that the Q.A. for the Cine line is much more strict, I guess meaning that the optics are held to a higher quality standard than the photography line.
    That said, you could get lucky and get a really stellar photography lens version, but if you get a Cine version, you are getting a stellar copy guaranteed (plus the declicked aputure, gear teeth, cine standard front filter size, etc).

    If that's worth the price difference for you, then fire away. I don't see a lot of 'magic' in those lenses, also, I feel there are cleaner primes out there for similar price (or cheaper).

    Personally, if I were to start my 'clean prime' collection from scratch, I would probably go with Zeiss (CP.2 line if you want to go full cine, ZF.2 line if you want the same optical quality in smaller photography lens bodies), but of course, I'm just some random guy on the internet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA N. CA
    Posts
    2,791
    Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Denny,
    Any optical advantage on the cine version or just the usual mechanical bonus? (No click aperture, focus the "right way", etc).
    For prime lenses Yes, see previous post, and the focus throw is longer, making focus pulls more accurate. The Cine Zooms are also parfocal.

    But, if I were investing in new Cine prime lenses, I would be looking at either the Zeiss CP3, more compact than the CP2, or the excellent SLar Magic APO Cine lenses, which are a better buy than the Tokina Primes. For zooms, look for some good used Cine Zooms from Angenieux and Zeiss, bargains come up ever now and then.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Canon mount lenses - Rokinon 35mm cine f1.5, Canon 24mm TS-E L tilt-shift
    By studiomusic in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM
  4. Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro, Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART, Canon 40mm 2.8 STM Pancake
    By Nick Mercer in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •