Thread: BMMCC 14.8V Battery Module by RADIOPROEKTOR

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    It's nice to see the process you go through with the development. Thanks for sharing, it looks like an amazing product.

Same here, I can't wait to get my hands on these!
    I'll get 2 units as soon as it's ready to ship

And some progress with CNC manufacture of aluminum molds for future liquid urethane casting of rear shell cap.

Last edited by shijan; 08-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Custom cables are available now:
    13cm DC power cable with 5.5x2.1mm barrel plug connectors
    13cm DC power cable with 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug connectors
    29cm DC power cable with 5.5x2.1mm barrel plug connectors
    29cm DC power cable with 5.5x2.5mm barrel plug connectors

Check it here: https://lavky.com/handmade/home-and-...oduct=CZ605035

Last edited by shijan; 10-29-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

It's been a while! Any update?

The project is still in development. After some soldering attempts i found that wires with silicone insulation i purchase earlier are not usable in this project, because they are too thick, too soft and can't be bended as i need. So i spend some time to find a supplier of decent quality wires with thin PVC insulation. End up with ALPHA WIRE 3057 UL1007 16AWG wires.

Rear shell cap and LP-E6 plate casting is on the way.

Currently i partially assemble full batch of the batteries from the parts i already have. Also i assemble first fully working test sample and do a lot of real life field testing with BMMCC and SmallHD monitor. It is very user friendly device. Operation is quick and easy, way faster than change multiple small Canon batteries. Camera feels heavier now but it is still very light and comfortable for handled shooting. Extra weight adds stability to shoots. Rear battery counterweights lens very well.

Now i can also add more precise weight specs: 220g (excluding Batteries), 400g (including Batteries)

Some current work in progress updates. Shiny LP-E6 plate CNC master model and CNC machined rear support plates instead liquid urethane casting ones.

Looking good, so the final unit will have CNC machined rear support plates?
    Cheers

Just a question shijan: why don't you do a crowdfunding?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Looking good, so the final unit will have CNC machined rear support plates?
    Cheers
    Yes, i simplify the design and now this part is made of flat 2mm plastic. Simpler and less expensive to manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
    Just a question shijan: why don't you do a crowdfunding?
    Crowdfunding is complicated in the place i am located. Also i have no idea how to setup manufacture in larger than hand made batches. For small batches i have my own funds to invest.

BTW if someone don't hear yet, last week i burn HDMI port on my BMMCC camera. I still not sure if it is due electrostatic damage or due ground loop (or both), or due some build-in HDMI chip defect. I was looking to add some kind of isolated ground module to battery outputs but i am still not sure if it possible yet. I described problem in details here http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21...l=1#post254391

The concept of the same battery for monitor and camera looks not too bright now. Here is quote from BMD support email:

Potential causes of SDI failure and how to minimize them.

Isolated Grounds
    Isolated grounds may be implemented on a battery plate for safety reasons to allow for isolation between individual devices powered by the plate.
    If two devices are connected to individual power connectors AND also have an additional cable between them, there could be the chance of voltage offset.
    For example, with an EVF setup, where the camera is on one battery plate power connector, the EVF is on a second plate power connector, and an SDI cable is connected between the devices. Assuming that the SDI connector is internally connected directly to the power negative on each device (chassis ground), then the circuit design will be utilizing the SDI cable shield to provide the common ground connection between the two power supplies. If either the camera or the EVF DO NOT have their SDI shield conductor connected directly to chassis ground, if the SDI cable length is sufficiently long or of poor quality, then the shield in the SDI cable will act as a low-value resistor, and a current will flow through the cable shield between the two devices. You could expect a potential difference measured from one supply's ground to the other.
    If the camera and monitor are using either two independent power sources or two power sources on the battery plate where the D-Tap connector may be connected directly to the battery terminals it may have a different negative potential to that of the rest of the power connectors. Ground connection contact bounce may occur and there could be a chance of damaging SDI ports. Contact bounce may also cause all manner of transient voltage spikes to go through the equipment and could cause unforeseen issues.

Prevention
    If you have a battery plate with isolated ground supplies, it is recommended to only use it if both the camera and the EVF were powered from the exact same power connector. This can be achieved by plugging a D-Tap multi-tap into the plate D-Tap connector, then connect individual D-Tap cables from the multi-tap to the camera and EVF. That way they are using a common negative connection, with no chance for floating voltage potential variations.
    If avoidable SDI interfaces should not be hot-plugged. When setting up or dismantling camera setups make sure that all devices are completely turned off before making any connections to any of the device's inputs or outputs, and any batteries that can be, should removed or disconnected since some battery outlets are always powered.

Electrostatic Discharge (ESD)
    This can occur randomly at anytime and can be caused by clothing, packaging, plastics and atmospheric conditions. If you are carrying even a small static charge, you could possible damage sensitive electronic components.
    Whilst BNC connectors are designed to minimise contact with the center conductor, if you inadvertently touch near the center contact you could cause a static discharge.

Prevention
    The same static prevention measures used when handling sensitive electronic components should be employed when handling video production equipment
    As a matter of course discharge yourself when handling a device by touching any large metal object next to you such as a metal table or metal stand or water pipe etc.
    SSD drives and the SATA interfaces also do not have high ESD protection.
    Always keep any antistatic bags that the SSD drive came in, and always use them for transport and storage of the drive. Use care and try to never touch the drive contacts. SDI ports may also quite sensitive to ESD so static safety precautions should also be implemented when connecting or removing cables.