Thread: I am improving my lighting skills - with the BMPCC. Would love feedback :))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I am improving my lighting skills - with the BMPCC. Would love feedback :)) 
    Edit: the video has been released: https://youtu.be/Rn2ifYINi0M
    I shot this multicam music live session wih 2 BMPCCs and 1 Micro on Nikon AI and the Tokina 28-70 2.8
    Would like if you critque my lighting. I attached my plans for the day. I added a hairlight to her on location to simulate to moonlight hit her.
    Otherwhise I stuck to the plans.

I used a Falcon Eyes 18TD through 4x4 diffusion as a toplight. 2 500W Tungsten for the backroom for fill. And two Pixarpro lights for the blue athmosphere outside

Für Luise und Leandro_1.5.1.jpg
    Für Luise und Leandro_1.4.1.jpg
    Für Luise und Leandro_1.3.1.jpg

28161533_2046662182014007_3788309985137353203_o.jpg
    Last edited by Rotbart; 06-12-2018 at 03:30 PM.

I cant see the images.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    I cant see the images.
    I am seeing them on multiple devices. What could cause that?

Ah its my browser. I doesn't work on my chrome but in IE it does, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Ah its my browser. I doesn't work on my chrome but in IE it does, my bad!
    OK weird. I am using chrome on all my devices. Thanks for checking it out though

Her eyes are a bit dark, maybe needs a bit more punch. Could be your intention. I like the lighting.
    The idea of 2 people in the middle in the room is off for me. Is it like a music video? Is it a recording session? For a music video, it is quite boring. If they just want a recording session, it is great though

It is a live music session. So they are performing live, I wanted it to look as good/stylish as possible to give some ambience to the music.
    I hear you about the eyes. I wanted a good amount of contrast and couldn't figure out how to get in eyelight/catCh light in there without destroying the mood/have it visible for the other cameras.

I like it as well and don't think the pools in the eyes are bad. It's soft, moody, and still flattering light. If the darkness in the eyes did bother you however you could always move that 18TD top light back a foot or two from the talent so it's a far side key wrapping back towards camera instead of positioned straight down over the talent. Depending on how far you position back the key it will be a soft rembrandt style or side light look. You may get some decent eye light out of it too.

I like the tonal range and colour mix, but I feel like your main source (key) is very toppy.

When you have someone playing guitar, they'll probably spend a bit of time looking down at their guitar too so a top light will be a little wasted in this scenario.

If the top source could be a lot bigger, or lower in shot it might wrap in a little more. Some ultrabounce or just pieces of unbleached muslin on the floor could work for passive bounce or you can activate it by using something small and collimated. A Dedo or maybe a leko / source 4 is good for this job.

That said, it's really tricky to light for three angles in a 180 deg arc like this wide and tight. For me, I try and keep the frame sizes the same on a setup like this. So three wider shots rather than a two and two singles. Then on take two you can sneak everyone close, drop the lighting in closer and fine up the eyelines on the singles as well.

If it's to playback then it should be easy to change up the sizes. If it's a live RECORDING then it's trickier to manage.

If it were me I'm not sure I would have set them where they are. I would have maybe gone a little deeper in the room, rather than near those returns that are there ?

Heres a sequence I did on The Beautiful Lie. The artist is singing live, the director was adamant we weren't to have any playback. All the live work (singing shots) were done over two takes with two cameras. Alexa Studio with Zeiss Superspeeds. M40 outside if I recall.

https://vimeo.com/153069892

This one was also done in the same way but night.

https://vimeo.com/154004536

JB

^ 'nuff said