Thread: Milvus lens popular with RED than BMD user?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Milvus lens popular with RED than BMD user? 
    Saw this video at BVE 2018 it mention the Milvus is often seen on RED cameras. I don't know how many BMD users there are but visiting Reduser forum it certainly true its more popular over there.
    Is there a practical reason or just differences in general purchasing power between the two groups? I know the Milvus handles flares very well, maybe it reduces highlight blow out in certain instances which RED are known to clip.

I think it's a question of buying power. OTOH, there are large threads about vintage lenses too…
    BTW, any camera blows out highlights when overexposed. I see no difference in this respect, we are working with both Red and BM.

Yesterday I was testing focus assist on my BMPC4K with a Zeiss lens and a Canon EF I notice how the highlighted area on the Canon lens just cut off abruptly between the highlighted focus peaked area and the area that is not. The highlighted focus peaked area on the Zeiss are more gradual or organic. This really shows why Zeiss lens has a 3D look because the contrast replicate what it is in real life.

Yes, good lenses like Zeiss and Veydras also, have a more gentle roll,off on the lens contrast st the bright end (highlights), Somthenlens looks more organic and background foreground just pop. One of the best examples of this is on the Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 lens, which was a Hollywood favorite.
    Cheers

The Milvus' popularity sky-rocketed after Raven's promo in 2015.

Zeiss also included the video on their website/channel: https://vimeo.com/169093833

It really depends...I see expensive Canon/Sigma/etc. lenses on BM cameras all of the time. Sometimes they are only a few hundred less than some of the Milvus' and sometimes even more (depends on the glass).

Red shooters strike me as more driven by technical specifications (generally speaking, and I've been a Red Epic owner for a couple of years myself, though I recently switched out). All of Which makes sense to me given the primary marketing drive from Red over the years has been the fat tech specs of their camera systems. It's how they sell 8k monstros to people who may have never fully exhausted the power of their DSMC1 Dragons. The Milvus are zeiss's latest and greatest spec wonders in that price range. And you can have a nice set for less than the price of a single Master Prime, so the value works out. The attraction to the Red user seems somewhat inevitable. That's not to say the Reds or the Milvus aren't what they're cracked up to be. Both are very fine filmmaking instruments. I have a set of ZF.2's that I am thrilled with, so I have a hard time seeing the benefit of bumping up to the Milvus line' marginal technical improvement at the current price premium. But if you want a set of sorta kinda baby UP's then Milvus is a good way to go.

I really took a liking to the Milvus 25mm f/1.4, and then saw the price, $2,400. I’m sure that’s a great deal in the right context (and the lens looks awesome), but a 24mm f/1.4 Sigma EF Art lens is $900, and it can be used with AF on a Sony camera for photos and video. There’s gotta be a lot of “Zeiss POP!” To justify the extra $1,500. But... for what they are, the Otus line seems like a bargain. lol Lenses...

With any lens anything wider than F2.8 AF becomes innacurate you be best using the live screen instead and manual focus. Sigma manual focus throw are very short and not very good.

I've worked on a large number of movies and TV shows shot on RED cameras, and I've never seen anyone use these lenses. I've seen CP.2's quite a bit, but never Milvus. I was under the impression that those lenses were more still photography than filmmaking?

Milvus particularly the F1.4 are design for both videos and stills in mind. Quite a few over in Reduser are saying they are better than CP.2 which is no surprise. I guess some productions uses what they are use to. Milvus line only been announced in late 2015 starting with just two f1.4 lenses, its only in the last 10 months that a further two f1.4 lenses was added.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 04-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.