Thread: Pocket camera is still relevant

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post

Here is what the Fuji X-H1 can do, using the Eterna film simulation and no color grading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUcKd8HNqvc

The amount one would have to rig out a BMPCC to do this kind of work is going to wind up in a very similar ballpark to a rigged-out GH5s or X-H1.
    ...when you bring enough light, diffusion, butterflies, a generator and a ton of grip ;-)

It's not that they just shot it with a bare camera out of the hip, with available light.

ec693ed1-cadb-4958-9566-45e50f1a4a7c.jpg

9fc1a8e2-632a-495f-ad6f-28ccb5d2f519.jpg

90878e5a-0048-43f7-a13b-dee3912b8421.jpg
    Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 03-22-2018 at 03:38 AM.

This would have looked sensational on the Pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    ...when you bring enough light, diffusion, butterflies, a generator and a ton of grip ;-)

It's not that they just shot it with a bare camera out of the hip, with available light.

ec693ed1-cadb-4958-9566-45e50f1a4a7c.jpg

9fc1a8e2-632a-495f-ad6f-28ccb5d2f519.jpg

90878e5a-0048-43f7-a13b-dee3912b8421.jpg
    True, but those costs would apply just as much, if not more so, to the Pocket. The price advantage of the Pocket over the GH5s or X-H1 disappears into the noise when you're going all-out like that.

True, but those costs would apply just as much, if not more so, to the Pocket. The price advantage of the Pocket over the GH5s or X-H1 disappears into the noise when you're going all-out like that.
    Well not only the price advantage, but the image of the pocket is still far superior. What noise, if you are shooting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Well not only the price advantage, but the image of the pocket is still far superior. What noise, if you are shooting like this.

I don't consider the "price advantage" at all when shooting with our Micro Cinema. It's just the best HD IQ of any small camera you can shoot right now.
    If the GH5 or Fuji or any great hybrid camera delivered that IQ I'd buy 2 tomorrow for more than the cost.
    But they don't, which is why we shoot with BM and for small systems, wait for them to bring the first small BM 4k cam...in a couple of weeks, I hope.

I'm pretty late to this party, but I figured I'd throw my $0.02 in.

People care way too much about gear. Sure, if you're servicing clients and they have needs you need to meet with a certain codec or sensor or audio recorder then whatever; make the decisions that are the best for you as a contractor.

BUT

If you're just doing it for you--as in, you're the equivalent of a garage band filmmaker doing the weekend warrior thing and making art any way you can--then your priorities should be finding ways to make magic happen in front of the lens rather than the lens itself. If you can demonstrate to the world that you're interesting and you have a unique voice then the production value will come eventually.

In that sense, yes, the BMPCC is still relevant. For me, the checklist is:

Does it record images?
    Does it record sound?
    Can you afford it?

This also fits the T2i, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt...

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    I don't consider the "price advantage" at all when shooting with our Micro Cinema. It's just the best HD IQ of any small camera you can shoot right now.
    If the GH5 or Fuji or any great hybrid camera delivered that IQ I'd buy 2 tomorrow for more than the cost.
    But they don't, which is why we shoot with BM and for small systems, wait for them to bring the first small BM 4k cam...in a couple of weeks, I hope.
    I don't think the IQ of the Pocket is far enough beyond the GH5s or X-H1 to offset the numerous major advantages those two cameras have over the Pocket. But that's partly subjective.

I don't think the IQ of the Pocket is far enough beyond the GH5s or X-H1 to offset the numerous major advantages those two cameras have over the Pocket. But that's partly subjective.

You mean completely subjective

I'd love that to be true for us because I'd have a bunch of small 4k cameras with 5 axis IBIS, touch screens etc.

Yes, but the GH5S does not have IBIS, what it does have is a 10.5 MP sensor that is a little larger than the GH4/5 MFT sensor, and is a 10-bit, 4.2.2 Camera. But while it has a VLog recording ability, it does not record Raw or ProRes files.
    Cheers

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's great, but you can clearly see the dated resolution.

If you watch any 4K-6K-8K content, there is a massive difference in the modern IQ and quality.

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but visually-speaking and seriously only in terms of IQ, the pocket is very dated compared to the best the industry has to offer today.
    Hmm, well a lot of that I'm putting down to the filmmakers over the gear. It's not 4k etc but it can do a lot better than shown there. Hell even the sony Fs7 looks very dated in comparison to the best the industry has to offer and that's arguably still the most used camera now.