Thread: Pocket camera is still relevant

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I still use the pocket often, but I haven't been hit with any insistence on 4K deliveries yet.

It's become my run and gun gimbal camera. Juicebox magic power, Rokinon 12 f2, Zhiyun crane. Love getting to shoot Pro Res in camera, too.

I got into trouble on a couple of shoots with really bad Moire that I didn't quite catch in time. As much as I love the look of that camera, especially the way colors transition, most of my work does not allow for me to risk the aliasing or moire to creep in like that. Also, I haven't messed around with the filters. I'm sure those would help. Although, from the tests I saw, they also softened the image more than I like.

Still, it's an amazing camera. Totally in a class of its own, and like everyone else I can't understand how they don't follow up on it. 4k or not, a camera that sold that well with some quirks needs to be updated to eliminate some of the quirks. And yes, charge accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp View Post
    It's become my run and gun gimbal camera. Juicebox magic power, Rokinon 12 f2, Zhiyun crane. Love getting to shoot Pro Res in camera, too.
    Coincidentally we keep that exact setup for quick moving shots.
    I absolutely love the Rok 12 and on the stripped down pocket and Crane it's really light.

Quote Originally Posted by _OZ View Post
    I got into trouble on a couple of shoots with really bad Moire that I didn't quite catch in time. As much as I love the look of that camera, especially the way colors transition, most of my work does not allow for me to risk the aliasing or moire to creep in like that. Also, I haven't messed around with the filters. I'm sure those would help. Although, from the tests I saw, they also softened the image more than I like.

Still, it's an amazing camera. Totally in a class of its own, and like everyone else I can't understand how they don't follow up on it. 4k or not, a camera that sold that well with some quirks needs to be updated to eliminate some of the quirks. And yes, charge accordingly.
    For me it was either slightly softer image or live with moire. Went with a mosaic v2 olpf filter for the micro an to be honest from close to mid subject distance its not noticeable in RAW and can be recovered in post.

We deliver in HD - No one has asked for 4K except those curious to the size differences etc. Our pocket lives on a gimbla for broll. Love it. One of the better $500 (sale price) we have spent for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    If you like the aesthetic you get from the camera, which I do, an it fits your production there is no reason not to use it unless specifically contracted to shoot and edit in 4K or above.
    This was very much my feeling for a long time, but it just became unworkable as a general use camera. I was lugging around weird battery solutions, unscrewing ND filters, using off-camera audio just for interviews, etc. I gave in and grabbed a C100mk2, which now brings waves of relief every time I prepare gear the night before.

But I miss the pocket image on every shoot.

It's dull and rather pointless to say, but I still long for a new pocket with mic amp, battery and ergonomic solutions.

I think it is still very relevant. But will you buy a new one from retailers today?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I think it is still very relevant. But will you buy a new one from retailers today?
    If mine died I might, I'm invested enough in the stuff that goes on it. But my partners have another one so... I really think it is the best affordable camera to learn cinematography on. Film students registered in a school with cupboards full of 16mm lenses would be well served to pick up the right adapters and play. If some don't quite cover don't worry, punch in learn art. You can easily edit footage from it without breaking the bank on new computer and hard dive. We've done 2 features shot on ProRes that all the footage fit on a single usb 3, 3TB drive, we have backups obviously but don't need raid setups.

The only sort of affordable small camera I would consider is GH5s, which at nearly 3 times the price isn't really at a similar level price wise.

It isn't for everyone, and isn't for everything, but it is the camera you can afford to own and always have available when there isn't money to rent something better. When there is money to rent something better then go for it. When the Alexa is long gone back to the rental house and you need some inserts deep in editing knowing it is good enough to do the job is comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by bscenefilms View Post
    We deliver in HD - No one has asked for 4K except those curious to the size differences etc. Our pocket lives on a gimbla for broll. Love it. One of the better $500 (sale price) we have spent for sure.
    There are excellent reasons to capture in 4K even if you deliver in Full HD.

Maybe this sale (with a goody) will interest some here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

[24 hours]