Thread: Pocket camera is still relevant

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket camera is still relevant 
    So apparently Indie Film Husty shot a Guerilla feature at Sundance this year.

https://indiefilmhustle.com/egoanddesire/

It even used the vintage angenieux 12-120mm which doesn't fully Cover needing zoom in post, so not concerned about pixel peeping HD let alone 4K.

I need to use that lens more on my own stuff, I'm sure no one notices the resolution loss from reframing.

It's great, but you can clearly see the dated resolution.

If you watch any 4K-6K-8K content, there is a massive difference in the modern IQ and quality.

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but visually-speaking and seriously only in terms of IQ, the pocket is very dated compared to the best the industry has to offer today.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's great, but you can clearly see the dated resolution.

If you watch any 4K-6K-8K content, there is a massive difference in the modern IQ and quality.

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but visually-speaking and seriously only in terms of IQ, the pocket is very dated compared to the best the industry has to offer today.
    I think it's more to do with them shooting mostly low light on a shit lens and having to upscale in post.
    Put a good lens on the BMPCC and expose / focus properly and it'll look at sharp as pretty much anything else. That said, resolution aside, you do have a point that overall sensor IQ has come a long way since the birth of the lil' guy.

'Visually speaking' I prefer this tiny cameras' HD image to most 'up to date' cams, except Alexa.

Also youtube compression

I'm always blown away with the color coming out of the pocket camera. As long as festivals are still projecting at 1080p, I would consider them relevant.

It's still relevant to me coz I'm still using it and my audience still is liking what they see out of the BMPCC.

I often use it over my fs5 and many other cameras. Well lately the bmmcc but often the pocket too. Favorite part is the gradeability and the colors/look of it.

Sometimes I like that I have to work hard to get the image as it slows me down enough to think thru the framing / content, etc. And you can't beat the weight of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    the pocket is very dated compared to the best the industry has to offer today.
    It's also a HELL of a lot cheaper, so that may not be the best comparison.

It has nothing to do with price in this case as it's unrealistic to compare a pocket with an 8K RED; it's the 1920x1080 sensor inside the camera. (Of course for the price, it is an amazing camera though.)

Even just a slight step up, the BMCC produces more of a modern look/IQ on par with other/newer cameras. Just a little bit more resolution helps.

Shooting in 1080p is/was never the problem if it's coming from a high resolution sensor (not 1080p).

We have this conversation once a week and it somehow always starts with the pocket, haha.