Thread: FS: Aaton 7 Super-16 LTR 54 Les bosher mods with GREAT Russian lens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 FS: Aaton 7 Super-16 LTR 54 Les bosher mods with GREAT Russian lens 
    Fist enquiry:

Up for very reluctant sale is my beloved Aaton 7 LTR 54, ex-BBC model and upgraded to S-16 by Les Bosher of the UK. Also with it is a late-model Russian 10-100mm with a matching 0.75x wide adaptor, also collimated by Les and matched to this camera. Wooden handle, Les's custom front-end to 15mm rod system, three mags, onboard battery (needs re-celling). No tap but obviously tap capable. Also soft barney, hard shell case, original Aaton soft case.

I'm sure everything is working, just haven't used it lately. Will run it up and take a video if anybody wants to see it.

Photos are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ju?usp=sharing

Best offer for everything? Add Paypal fees and let me know your address for shipping estimates, at cost.

I also have a bunch of outdated, frozen 16mm neg (maybe 3,600ft) that a local buyer can have as well.

[EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it seems Les did more magic than I'd thought. This is in fact an LTR70 HS mod, goes up to 70fps. I only discovered that when doing the run test and seeing what speeds were actually available. So this is a lot more camera than at first meets the eye. And three mags to boot, plus it's running like a top!]

Thanks!
    Chris
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ChrisRL; 03-13-2018 at 08:55 PM.

I wish I could justify putting an offer on this, always wanted an Aaton, but my eclair hasn't shot anything in nearly 20 years. Does that lens actually cover super16?

Sure does, even out to 7.5mm wife open!

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Does that lens actually cover super16?
    This is 16OPF12-1 2.5/10-100mm zoom lens with wide angle attachment. It was used in 16mm KINOR cameras but this one seems DIY adapted to AATON mount. It is for standard 16mm film, not sure about actual S16 film format but it will not cover BMPCC/BMMCC sensor on most focal lengths. I own this lens long time ago (it is newer and better model than OPF12-120). It is very nice image quality and build, looks more modern than vintage, 10 or 12 blades iris (slightly ninja star shaped) and image looks very interesting. There are some samples on youtube with GH camera.

Quote from Olex Kalynychenko at cinematography.com:

lens have a set of original rear filters.
    - compensative filter,

- correction filter 4500K, ( 4500K-3200K) (morning, evening light, evening-glow, daybreak , filter formula 313-222=+91, between 85(+112) and 85C (+81)
    I think, filter factor + 2/3

- correction filter 6000K ( 6000K-3200K ) ( midday light, 313-167=+146, near filter 85B ( +131)+ 81A ( + 18)
    The filter factor + 1 stop.

- correction filter 8000K ( 8000K-3200K ) (blue, light nebulosity sky, filter formula 313-125=+188 )
    This like 85B ( + 131 ) and 85C ( + 81)
    The filter factor + 1,1/3 stops.

- neutral density filter HD6, 2.2x ( + 1 stop )

- neutral density filter ND7 4.8x ( near + 2,1/3 stop )

This is special filters and possible use a original filters only, because, this is filters have original body.
    The zoom lens will work correct with one from set of filters on rear side of lens.
    If you not set any filter on zoom lens, the zoom lens not will work.
    If you not need any correction you need set " compensative filter ". This is clear filter similar of UF.

The filters have marks on body ( the compensative filter can not have any mark).
    This is digitals : 4500K, 6000K, 8000K, words ND6 2.2x, ND7 4.8x.

If you need use other filters, you can set a gelatine filter between rear glass of zoom lens and front side of compensaitive filter.
    You can use similar idea if you will need correctiontilter and neutral density filter at one time.
    Here are 10mm and 100mm samples (not mine) shoot with Panasonic GF2

P.S. I was so fan boy of this lens that even make a 3D model for one of my projects at that time

Last edited by shijan; 03-07-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Yeah sorry to say it, but I just spoke to my DP and we both concur that this particular lens didn't vignette when wide open in S16.

I don't remember it doing that with its 0.75x on either.

He's going to double check tomorrow and see if he can't get a picture of the GG/gate. I'm in AZ on a shoot until Friday and will confirm as well when I get back.

Not trying to mislead anybody here, just don't remember it being as bad as, say, a 12-120 in S16, which is definitely insufficient coverage.

I"ll post findings one way or the other

Chris

Really interesting to see it. Actual S16 film circle may be slightly smaller than BMMCC sensor. When i was able to use 16OPF 10-100 i don't have BMMCC camera to test it, so i just compare sensor coverage tests of that lens done by other people. Later tested only 16OPF 12-120 and figure that vignetting highly depends of combination of zoom+focus distance setting to the object.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Good morning!
    Yes, you're correct, it's smaller:

Taken from this site, the BMCC sensor size is 15.81x8.88mm, yielding a sensor diagonal length of 18.1331mm (which would be the theoretical standard focal length for this format)
    The Super-16mm gate size is 12.52x7.41mm, which yields a 14.548mm diagonal length.

You can do the math yourself - if I recall correctly, the sensor or gate diagonal is the square root of the sum of the squares of each side.
    Trying that out on my (t)rusty memory and the standard 135 gate of 24x26mm, that gives me the correct diagonal of 43.2mm (which is the true standard length of a full-frame 35mm stills camera).

So going by the diagonals, you can see that the diagonal focal length of the BMCC is almost 25% longer than that of S16 film.

While the comparative areas would only be around 5% different, based on the above, the circles of coverage would be more in line with the diameters of those circles, which would be more like 25%.
    And when we're talking corner vignetting, I think the diagonals tell a clearer story than the areas.

But that's just my thought.

And yes, my DP has the camera out and just this second re-confirmed - absolutely NO vignetting with this lens on this camera.

Pictures and video available here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pS?usp=sharing

Yes, you'll want the black lines to the sides of the regular GG mask. I had Les do that so I could keep all my 16mm options open.

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

Sorry, but these were taken with my DP's cell phone - not the best solution but more than adequate for this use, I'd expect. As you can plainly see, the lens coverage is much more than sufficient unto the task at hand.
    Last edited by ChrisRL; 03-08-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Shijan, I know you're not familiar with the UK cinematography game, but just FYI, I'd look up to see just who Les Bosher is before you go labelling his work as DIY. Really, I would.

Les Bosher is the man, I looked into getting him to do my eclair npr years ago, but my lens didn't cover so wasn't worth it. Good thing I'm broke right now, so tempting. It's entirely possible the lens may not cover a digital sensor like the pocket without slight vignetting, they react differently.