Thread: Litra Torch, Who's used it? Who else wants to miniaturize your light kit?

1. #1 Litra Torch, Who's used it? Who else wants to miniaturize your light kit? 
    The Litra Torch if anyone remembers, is a tiny, like 1.5 inches square tiny, LED light that popped up kickstarter over a year ago and was circulating around all the filmmaking sites and forums. It is aimed at the action/adventure market, mainly people using GoPros and action cameras but really excited me because of its advertised constant 8oo lumen output, especially given its absolutely tiny footprint. I almost forgot about this light but received one for Christmas and have been very impressed over the past few months as I've put it through its paces. There are definitely some things that the light lacks but the output vs size is pretty impressive and especially as a rim/back or other non main light source, this light is honestly killer. If this light were even twice the size it would still be impressive and given it's performance, if the company continues to make more lights, I can only imagine that they could make a brighter/longer lasting light with a light that I would still consider tiny and could even change how we think about portable lighting.

I was wondering if anyone else has used the light and what they have thought of it. It excites me to think that a light that can properly light my videos could be so tiny, especially given that the only LED lights that even come close it it that I currently own are 5 times the size. I hope to hear from others who have used this light or other lights similar to it and what their thoughts are.

So I'm only going to share my video review to help you guys see exactly how the Litra looks when used with a BMPCC. You can check it out here. I lit all the talking head shots with a Litra + diffuser @ 800 lumens about 2 feet away from me just to the right of me and slightly elevated above me eye-line.

Hope to see what you all have to say. This light has made me so excited about the possible miniaturization of lighting kits.

I haven't used this brand, but I have a small kit of Lume Cubes. Love them. I honestly think lume cubes should be in everyones kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    I haven't used this brand, but I have a small kit of Lume Cubes. Love them. I honestly think lume cubes should be in everyones kit.
    preach on! I have 5 cubes and I LOVE them. can't imagine working without them.

I got a bunch of gopro kit, so I can mount that sticking light any where now, and a hotshoe mount as well to use as a sun gun, hell, I even got a head strap so I can use it has a headlamp.

The Lume Cube seems to have around 9000k color temp and QC reviews are dismal.

The Litra gets reviewed as pretty green, but probably closer to the advertised 5600k. The problem seems that it's greener in the center than the edges - making a minus green filter kinda useless.

They are a great idea for sure, and I'd love a lighting tool this small, but it just doesn't seem ready for prime time yet.

For my smallest light I have been using the Aputure 160-LED and 196-LED BI-COLOR "on-camera" style lights. The light quality is actually usable and the variable color temp makes them really handy on sets.
    I've used them a lot to light car interiors too as they're just small enough and lightweight enough to hide pretty well. Within scenes, behind props, on bookshelves, in sinks, under actors.
    Fun stuff.

Maybe one day these Cube style lights will work a little better.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine