Thread: Helios "anamorphic"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nice! I have a helios 28mm that I love but to be honest it's a terrible lens by today's standards. I will look into that option Jon. I'm not into the anamorphic flares but the bokeh shape is more interesting.

Not all Helios lens are good. Some are okay. The one that's most revered is the 44-2 58mm. The 37mm and 85mm are good too. Iron Glass in Ukraine sells Helios anamorphic converted lenses. A set of 37 Mir, 58 Helios, and 85mm Jupiter anamorphic EF mount will set you back about $600 which is not bad (http://ironglassadapters.com/product...anon-ef-mount/).
    Last edited by EYu; 03-09-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    The one that's most revered is the 44-2 58mm. The 37mm and 85mm are good too.
    I have had a set of the 37mm (MIR), 58mm(44-2), and 85mm(Jupiter-9) for years specifically for their character, definitely not their clarity.
    They absolutely ooze character, of course that's not what you need for every shoot, but when you do need it, they are a great alternative to a clean prime set.

I went through a few copies of each lens before I found the 'one' from each focal length and did some cine-modding on them. Luckily, the lenses are cheap, so the whole process of finding good copies and modding them was more fun than anything else.
    Afterwards, I gave away some of the ones I didn't want (inspiring some new soviet lens lust), and I kept a couple extra 44-2's around for anamorphic builds because it's such a characteristic taking lens.
    I'll probably never give up the old soviet set; I actually shoot on them pretty often, in fact, I just shot a music video scene with the 37mm and 58mm at dawn on this very morning.

In my experience, the Jupiter-9 85mm gets quite warm with age, even with pretty regular UV blasting they seem to nearly all have a very warm glowy character. I actually really love it. It's like instant golden hour and makes for very flattering close ups, but matching the 3 soviet lenses to each other requires more work than my Nikon/Canon/Zeiss primes (which I can match to each-other a lot more easily).

Another fan of adapted M42 mount lenses here. I have the 44-2 and also Jupiter 9 85mm, a Takumar 200mm f3.5, a Takumar 35mm f2.3 and Pentacon 135mm. All preset lenses with lots of blades. Poor man's cine lenses.

I have two copies of the Tair 11a mentioned above, which are great but, alas, both had an issue with aperture blades popping out. I've thought about the faux anamorphic mod for one of these. Would be interested to see your results if you try it.

Good points above re. matching lenses and colour shifts. My Jupiter 9 pulls towards the green side of warm.

very interested in picking up some of these for the micro. So the helios 44-2, Jupiter 85 and MIR 37 are all good picks? I'm assuming it's harder to find a quality wide to match?

Any others to look out for and anything in particular to watch out for when buying from ebay?

Will I be fine to grab some m42 to ef adaptors and use these on the bmpcc speed booster?

Really like the look and I think it'd be a good way to get some variation into my lens set.

There is a site - something like 'vintage lenses for video', which might be handy. There is also a Pentax enthusiasts forum where people review lenses.

Basic EF adaptors have worked fine with my pocket + speed booster. I used some teflon tape to make a tighter fit.

There are some great flare and bokeh behaviours to play with and, generally, a low contrast and softer look opened up. What surprises me more, however, is how similar they are to modern lenses when stopped down a bit.

Interesting, i just noticed that Iron Glass company located in small city not too far from my place. Seems they manufacture nice stuff. BTW, they also have sales at same local marketplace as me https://lavky.com/iron-glass/

Footage with those fake anamorphic modifications look nice but in some tests i noticed vertical line on the bokeh. Probably caused by thin vertical wire inside the lens.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Interesting, i just noticed that Iron Glass company located in small city not too far from my place. Seems they manufacture nice stuff. BTW, they also have sales at same local marketplace as me https://lavky.com/iron-glass/

Footage with those fake anamorphic modifications look nice but in some tests i noticed vertical line on the bokeh. Probably caused by thin vertical wire inside the lens.
    yeah, doing some research and it's a shame that the thin wire does add a noticeable line through some highlights most notably in the bokeh. So you get cool flares but at a cost I just want cheap anamorphics damn it!