Thread: Ursa Mini Pro would be perfect if...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ursa Mini Pro would be perfect if... 
    Ok I'll preface by saying I don't have yet, and haven't shot on it yet but would certainly love to upgrade.

I think it would be awesome if it could record 2k or HD ProRes to the sd cards while also mastering full res format of choice to the cfast or ssd.

Sure you can add a video assist but I don't think it will match time code if it even trigger records. Obviously this camera processes a realtime down conversion for monitoring, would firmware ever make it possible to do dual recording, or perhaps in. Future version.

The reality is that still most projects don't need more than HD, features included barring a Netflix deal. Sure you can use resolve to just proxy all the footage before editing starts, but that is a lot of work for small productions without assistants. If you could just start working with HD footage and archive the 4.6k for if you ever need it would be a boon for small indie producers. Just a thought.

From the Video Assist manual:

"You can also set your video assist to use 'timecode' or 'SDI/HDMI start/stop' trigger recording. This lets you start and stop recording triggered by information received via the HD-SDI or HDMI signal."

It also appears that the video assist will record the timecode onto the video files. The one thing that might make it a bit problematic is that I'm not sure if you can make both the camera and the video assist to give the video files matching names.
    Ola Harström
    vimeo.com/olis

Also if you are using the Ssd recorder you lose sdi out so no clean signal to record. Just thinking that since it has 2 separate recorders I wonder if firmware could make it work, or a future hardware generation.

If not firmware then definitely hardware in the future. There are cameras that do this; the latest being the C200, which simultaneously records RAW on the CFast card and proxies on the SD card. But the HD/2K ProRes in this case would probably be a bit more work (with CinemaDNG RAW going at the same time).

First of all, a “Netflix” deal can still be done. Netflix buy non 4k content all the time. They will only specify 4k for commissioned Netflix Original content.

And from what I understand, it will never be possible to dual record. The way the camera is setup each time you change recording formats it “re-boots” a different firmware. So each codec gets its own version of firmware and to dual record would require two different firmwares to run at the same time.

I know his because I would like this feature too :-)

JB

Thanks JB, that's what I thought, doesn't hurt to wish out loud. I am also aware that Netflix rules are for projects commissioned up front but sometimes you have to deal with clueless directors that think everything has to be 4K but don't have the money to deal with it. I think the sweet spot on this camera for low budget indie stuff would be full sensor recording dci 2k ProRes 444, then not so big a leap from pocket for inserts and gimbal stuff.

I’m a bit of a fan is the original BMCC. A BMCC with an MFT sensor / mount shooting 4k and to dual SD or Cfast cards would be my wish.

JB

^Sounds amazing! (with HFRs of course)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I’m a bit of a fan is the original BMCC. A BMCC with an MFT sensor / mount shooting 4k and to dual SD or Cfast cards would be my wish.

JB
    that's what I want too, put a bug in their ear. I really want to get the Veydra primes, but can't justify with the current camera forecast.

Also if using the Bmcc form factor, maybe at least a tilt able screen of the newer full HD panels.