Thread: The cinematography and colour grading of the first 3 Harry Potter film

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I sure liked the progress over those movies. I really hated the first movies, and the latests ones were OK. (I am really not into magic, as there are no borders, I mean he could be battling a bear, and then he uses his magic wand and wishes for a dragon, and a dragon would fight the bear, so there is no sense of real danger, I mean there are no natural laws that I can build on, so magic feels empty for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    7.5 minutes out of a 13 minute video essay. And it was the "rant" part of "subjective rant" I was hoping you'd take to heart When making statements like "I believe one has to stay true to the already established world by evolving the look gradually as you go and not make distinct divides between the movies", I would have expected you to follow that with an explanation as to why you believe that. Instead, you explain what you liked about the original HP look and what you disliked about Cuaron's.
    In the end I'm left feeling confused as to why you think any of the things you've spent 13 minutes stating. I liked the comparison with the LOTR series though. It gives some foundation to your argument and I wish you would have explored those differences more.
    In all honesty, this isn't a rant. If that's what you hear, then I think I have to question my communication skills a bit. It might depend on what you mean by rant..?

I say over and over that Azkaban is a great movie and that it looks great. And the explanation for the "it should rather change the look gradually" is: "The first two movies had a similar tone, though CoS was slightly darker... and they feel more a part of the same universe.. And it's backed by the whole create a coherent narrative by making "the look" as much part of the storytelling as the script (as LOTR did).

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Well I sure liked the progress over those movies. I really hated the first movies, and the latests ones were OK. (I am really not into magic, as there are no borders, I mean he could be battling a bear, and then he uses his magic wand and wishes for a dragon, and a dragon would fight the bear, so there is no sense of real danger, I mean there are no natural laws that I can build on, so magic feels empty for me)
    The progress of the story is great. And the look of many of them are great as well... I just wished for more similarity between the look and tone of the different films..

Quote Originally Posted by tommetass View Post
    And it's backed by the whole create a coherent narrative by making "the look" as much part of the storytelling as the script (as LOTR did).
    But the books become increasingly darker in tone as well. You're stating your point (That a look needs to be coherent throughout and honor the established universe) but make no attempt to explore the questions that follow.
    That's why I have a bit of a hard time with this from an Essay perspective. It's all meant as constructive criticism though. I got the point you were making, but I can't agree because the video didn't answer any questions. So I'm left unconvinced, and that's where your efforts fall more into the rant category for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolin View Post
    But the books become increasingly darker in tone as well. You're stating your point (That a look needs to be coherent throughout and honor the established universe) but make no attempt to explore the questions that follow.
    That's why I have a bit of a hard time with this from an Essay perspective. It's all meant as constructive criticism though. I got the point you were making, but I can't agree because the video didn't answer any questions. So I'm left unconvinced, and that's where your efforts fall more into the rant category for me.
    I hope my replies here comes across as me not apperciating your criticism. I'm actually very happy you got this involved in the discussion.

I'm perhaps a bit puzzled as to what kind of questions you feel I don't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by tommetass View Post
    I'm perhaps a bit puzzled as to what kind of questions you feel I don't answer.
    You introduce the topic and then spend the remaining time explaining and summarizing your thesis.
    Questions that sprung to my mind were among others:
    • Why is a coherent look across movies important to the overall body of work? (e.g. Why is LOTR's One look superior to HP's evolving look?)
    • Does it matter that the HP movie series spans across close to a decade both in the fictional universe and in our own? (e.g. is an overarching look more important than contemporary styles and forms of storytelling?)
    • Are there advantages / Disadvantages to updating a look to the norm at the time?
    • Does the age of the audience influence the tone and style of the look? Does it influence the tone in the books?
    • Would a re-grade of the first two movies with a more contemporary style matching the following movies solve some of the disconnect you mention with regards to color? Why/Why not?

And no, don't worry, I only mentioned the constructive criticism in case I myself came across as rude. Half of these replies are typed on my phone throughout the day and might be a bit short.

Let me jump back in and say it was well done. The editing and narration were absolutely below par for the course, if you golf you'll understand that's a compliment. I never understood why under par is somehow derogatory, if you golf you know that you want to be under par. Sub par is a good thing, if you golf that is, why is it derogatory in other industries? You may not golf or even understand the sport but let me tell you, Titleist balls are the best, the PGA changed the rules for golf balls back in 2006 to allow tighter windings. That had less of an effect than did the 1992 ruling to allow carbon fibre (I like to spell fibre with an RE it makes me feel more European) clubs. Jack Niklaus would have been a much better golfer with todays technology. Wait, what were we talking about, Harry Potter? What's his handicap?

That's the way I felt watching this. I understand that while you may have all of this data stored in your head it was not very well presented and often I was confused as to what it was you were trying to say at any given point. A point for point critique would be a waste of both of our times so I'll just politely try and leave some advice that I got back in 5th grade.

1. Introduction and thesis
    2. make a point and support it with data, or pictures, video essay yeah.
    3. See #2
    4. See #2
    5. Conclusion and summarize #2, #3, #4

Good Luck