Thread: Faulty BIWIN card- advice needed

1. #1 Faulty BIWIN card- advice needed 
    I have been shooting with my Biwin cards for a while now. Besides the first one I purchased being dead on arrival (they replaced it without any hassle), I haven't had any other issues.

But I shot a card today, and every time I plugged the card into my lear fast reader, my Mac crashed. I put the card back into my URSA I can see and play the videos.

Any suggestions how I can get the footage off this? My other 5 cards are fine, so its not the reader. I can't run data recovery software as the computer dies when I mount the card..

I will try one of my other computers when I get home from this project , but this is in a few days and I am keen to get this back.

cheers paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

Do you have another Cast reader? This happened to me with my Lexar reader too, but just on 1 card - the same one every time but not always. Then a got a second Sandisk reader and it was able to read the card. Strange. I don't think it is your card. I wonder if it is how the card was formatted (either from the computer or on the URSA). You might try to experiment with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Do you have another Cast reader? This happened to me with my Lexar reader too, but just on 1 card - the same one every time but not always. Then a got a second Sandisk reader and it was able to read the card. Strange. I don't think it is your card. I wonder if it is how the card was formatted (either from the computer or on the URSA). You might try to experiment with that too.

thanks. I will try this when I get back home with my spare reader.

cheers paul
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

i have got home now and tried the cfast card in another mack with another reader and it crashes that mac too. i also tried to plug into a PC, but that just asks to format card. any other ideas how to get the data off this?

i can still see the videos on the ursa mini screen.

p
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

I had an SSD go down on the BMPC, I ended up playing it back in camera and recording it on an external recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bergstrom View Post
    I had an SSD go down on the BMPC, I ended up playing it back in camera and recording it on an external recorder.
    thats a good idea. I have a 7inch video assist I could play to...
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

If the pins on the card have drifted a little off plane ( sat on whilst in a back pocket, dropped, shoved in back-to-front, been inside of a very hot car ), the order of connection for hot-swapping may have been disrupted. - Try disconnecting the reader from the computer, inserting the card, then reconnecting the card reader to the computer. - If that does not help, try restarting the computer with the card reader, card already inserted, connected to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    If the pins on the card have drifted a little off plane ( sat on whilst in a back pocket, dropped, shoved in back-to-front, been inside of a very hot car ), the order of connection for hot-swapping may have been disrupted. - Try disconnecting the reader from the computer, inserting the card, then reconnecting the card reader to the computer. - If that does not help, try restarting the computer with the card reader, card already inserted, connected to the computer.
    it actually crashes the Mac as soon as you either plug in the card or usb of the card. if it crashes and you restart, it crashes again. I think the copying off the camera is the best idea I think.

cheers paul
    Paul Ross Jones

www.paulrossjones.com

Just started to get dropped frames when shooting 4K DCI @ 60fps on the URSA with the Biwin 256gb cfast in RAW 3:1. Didn't have this problem before. Have the cards over a year now. Works fine at 24 to 30fps.