Thread: How to recover DNG files from corrupted SSD disk?

1. #1 How to recover DNG files from corrupted SSD disk? 
    This is the title I was never hoping to post here. But it happened. I had a day long shoot with my BMCC for a new featurefilm. Shot in RAW 2.5k. 700GB in total was shot. I came home and placed the three 250GB SSD's in my computer to back them up like I always do. All were formatted as EXfat inside the camera.
    Only 2 disk allowed me to open them for backup. Windows 10 informed me to format the 3th disk before I could use it. It would not let me open the disk. I tried to open it on a MAC laptop as well with a harddrive usb dock, since it was Exfat, but that also said I first needed to format the disk. So I decided to see if I could get the files via a recoveryprogram called"Stellar Phoenix Professional" a 100 dollar program. It did find all the DNG's and I was able to save them on a separate harddrive. I was happy for a second since it contaned 220 GB of files in recorded order! but when I tried to open the dng's in photoshop or in premiere, it's said the file could not open as it's corrupted. It has the same file name structure as I always have and the filesize is also the same. So it looks like it's a solid recovery. But it's not..Is there any way I can repair the DNG's?

YES. It can be done.
    There are a couple of really cheap recovery apps. Maybe even free, I can't remember.
    I have them, have used them, and they work.
    I'm mobile right now and can't recall their names, but rest assured it works. Only in the worst cases are some DNGs damaged beyond repair. Also, there are apps that will "recreate" a lost DNG by analyzing the frames that come before and after. Works well enough to save your bacon.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I had a DIT unable to mount a SSD in the reader before. I put the SSD back in the camera and played back some clips and then recorded a few new seconds on it. After that the SSD mounted just fine. Have you tried to load the recovered clips in resolve? Hopefully all is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I had a DIT unable to mount a SSD in the reader before. I put the SSD back in the camera and played back some clips and then recorded a few new seconds on it. After that the SSD mounted just fine. Have you tried to load the recovered clips in resolve? Hopefully all is good!
    Yes, forgot to mention that. After I noticed my pc didnt recognise the disk I put it back into the camera. And then it said 'no ssd'.. So weird right Cause just before I took it out it did recognise the ssd and was playing back the clips just fine

I think I know what I did wrong. I took the SSD out of my old laptop wich had windows 10 installed. I then placed it in my BMCC and formatted it to Exfat. I probably should of have formatted the drive in a pc first. I thing that the BMCC does not do a full format and maybe left a partition or bootfile for windows 10? When I booted the SSD in my PC on startup maybe it tried to repare the old bootfile? Making it no longer a Exfat disk? Is that possible? Ifso..is there a way to change this back to Exfat so I can open it again?

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    YES. It can be done.
    There are a couple of really cheap recovery apps. Maybe even free, I can't remember.
    I have them, have used them, and they work.
    I'm mobile right now and can't recall their names, but rest assured it works. Only in the worst cases are some DNGs damaged beyond repair. Also, there are apps that will "recreate" a lost DNG by analyzing the frames that come before and after. Works well enough to save your bacon.
    I fixed it!!

Tnx for the info! So Stellar Phoenix didn't work but I found a program called: Data Recovery Wizard WinPE. It's a program that boots from a dvd on startup via the bios. And it let me scan te SSD, it found all the files and I was able to copy the DNG's and the .wav files I use for syncing the sound. So yeah...I got all my footage back! So happy! I had to restructure all the files as it placed all the DNG's and Wav files in one folder. So in order for premiere to recognise all the diff scenes I had to recreate seperate folders per take. Took a few hours but at least I got it all back:-)

Anyone who's interested.. On my instagram I have place a series of 9 photo's from the shoot. :www.instagram.com/perrymulder

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Mulder View Post
    I fixed it!!

Tnx for the info! So Stellar Phoenix didn't work but I found a program called: Data Recovery Wizard WinPE. It's a program that boots from a dvd on startup via the bios. And it let me scan te SSD, it found all the files and I was able to copy the DNG's and the .wav files I use for syncing the sound. So yeah...I got all my footage back! So happy! I had to restructure all the files as it placed all the DNG's and Wav files in one folder. So in order for premiere to recognise all the diff scenes I had to recreate seperate folders per take. Took a few hours but at least I got it all back:-)

Anyone who's interested.. On my instagram I have place a series of 9 photo's from the shoot. :www.instagram.com/perrymulder
    Data Recovery Wizard WinPE
    That's it. That's the one I used.

Glad it worked out for you Perry.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

haha..Awesome. We are back on track now, syncing the sound. Oh btw..about sound. I bought the Aputure Deity shotgun mic..It's amazing. Very allround.

What I care about is your data recovery rather than anything else.
    Last edited by Vamker; 05-02-2018 at 10:48 PM.