Thread: Could this be why BMD is focusing on broadcast?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Could this be why BMD is focusing on broadcast? 
    Knowing that they might not be able to compete with price/performance from the RED and Foxconn alliance, this may be why BMD is focusing more on broadcast equipment and getting out of the cinema camera business.

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/red...onsumer-market

I'm hoping this will be happening soon so I have another low cost cinema camera vendor to entertain. I don't believe this is a consumer market camera, maybe a prosumer who does indie-films and above.

In what ways is BMD neglecting the cinema market?

Yeah I’m also confused. They literally just released the UMP, a heavy hitter in the sub $10k market, just last year. There seems to be a thought process that manufacturers always produce something new at specific time each year. New cameras come out after sufficient research and development leads to something new. Innovation doesn’t happen on a schedule and the UMP hasn’t even run close to it’s full course.

They’re not “focusing” on broadcast, they’re just growing there market in broadcast because it’s a huge arena for them to grow and profit in. Other broadcast cameras start at $20k and go up from there so there’s a lot of potential to disrupt the market there the same way they did in the cinema market years ago.

TL;DR They’re expanding their market not shifting.

Historically anytime Red tries to dabble in the prosumer space it backfires. Scarlet 3K never happened in any of the original incarnations, the $6000 Raven actually landed at about $12,000 for a basic shooting package that doesn't have XLR inputs or any options for lenses save EF.

I just see this a more hype that we actually need 8K. The brand new yet unreleased Arri LF isn't even 4K at s35. This speaks more loudly than the chorus of all internet forums combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Historically anytime Red tries to dabble in the prosumer space it backfires. Scarlet 3K never happened in any of the original incarnations, the $6000 Raven actually landed at about $12,000 for a basic shooting package that doesn't have XLR inputs or any options for lenses save EF.

I just see this a more hype that we actually need 8K. The brand new yet unreleased Arri LF isn't even 4K at s35. This speaks more loudly than the chorus of all internet forums combined.
    I'm not holding my breath for affordable Red, 8k is all hype. No the Arri LF is not 4K at super 35, it is the same pixel pitch as the existing cameras for all the dynamic range goodness. LF is large format, larger sensor to meet Netflix 4K specs, but not as big as the 6k 65mm system. Probably close to the full frame, vista vision size, but I don't think exact dimensions have been given, not all lenses will cover..

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nw View Post
    Yeah I’m also confused. They literally just released the UMP, a heavy hitter in the sub $10k market, just last year.
    Chris, I'm not surprise with BMD. They come out with a new camera and in a 18 to 24 months start abandoning their older products. Although I'm not saying they will do that with the UMP, right now their focus seem to be more broadcast base so you'll see the UMB getting more firmware upgrade that is specific to broadcast than it is for narrative. To BMD, it's all about the numbers, and that number is a bit skewed towards the broadcast market being the potential profit maker over narrative cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nw View Post
    They’re not “focusing” on broadcast, they’re just growing there market in broadcast because it’s a huge arena for them to grow and profit in. .
    If you don't know their history, BMD made equipments (ATEM, etc.) for the broadcast industry, kind of what AJA did. Cinema cameras like the BMCC and BMPCC came much later. So broadcast is not new territory for them, in fact a more opportune territory. I'm not saying that they are out of the cinema business, just probably not competitive enough for them to make it as compared to RED, if ever they come out with their 8K prosumer cinema cam. Again, I'm just wondering... not saying they will.

Just what the already wildly speculative and often gullible internets needs - more FUD.

8K is useless right now. Arri Alexa is still the industries standard and it's not even 4K. I just heard that they shoot TV Series on FOX in 1920 because the output is 720p. For the price and image quality, UMP is still on top. People are scared to use a cheaper camera for film production. They tend to use expensive cameras like Red and Arri. When you see the UMP on the Netflix list, you know it's a good cinema camera. It's just a matter of time before the UMP hits the film industry strong.

Geeze.

Abandoning after 18 months ? Even though they released, added and improved on the announced features of their first camera 4 years after they launched it ? They only JUST went EOL on their first camera. How is that abandoning anything ? They made a mis-step maybe with Ursa, which didn't sell very well and so far instead of their planned future upgrading to turrets they gave away their crown jewel camera for nearly half price as an apology.

Blackmagic have been in broadcast a lot longer than cinema by the way, I don't think you know their history at all. They COME FROM broadcast rather than are moving to it.

And how on earth do you measure that they're getting out of cinema ? You're projecting your own fears about whatever you think BMD is up to.

That press announcement could mean anything. Here's what I take. An 8K cinema camera 1/3 the price of a RED is still a 15-20K camera.

JB

Broadcast has been Blackmagic's bread and butter long before they made cameras, so they are never going to neglect that market. But don't confuse that with them neglecting their cinema market.

Blackmagic released their best camera just last year, a sturdy workhorse cinema camera that beats all others at its price point. Their Resolve, Fairlight, and Fusion is currently duking it out with Adobe, and winning on many levels. In the past year they've not only improved on their cameras through firmware, but gave them the ability to record directly to SSD (which is a huge plus).

Blackmagic is doing more for their share of the cinema market than any other camera company. What other camera company offers as much as Blackmagic, what other company offers cinema cameras for every budget, offers high end NL video, color, & audio editing, along with a top notch graphical program that gives Adobe a run for its money?

Blackmagic is killing it.