Thread: NAB 2018 Prediction

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Gen 4 is only on the mini. I don't own one but my older URSA has an early BM color that's not close to the Alexa, which for that time the BMCC was much closer.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Gen 4 is only on the mini.
    It's only on the broadcast. Gen 3 is on the other Mini's which is still closer than BMCC.

I don't own one but my older URSA has an early BM color that's not close to the Alexa, which for that time the BMCC was much closer.
    A big URSA 4K? That uses the same colour science as the BMCC/Production 4K/Pocket (which is all just sensor/camera RGB). I do comparisons a lot between everything you've mentioned and know what's similar and what isn't.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Thanks Cap. I am sure you do know it well. I always like the IQ from the BMCC over the big URSA. IMO and personal observations, the URSA colors are vivid and resolute while those of the BMCC has some texture making it more cinematic. I recalled a few years back when I still had the BMCC I took a side by side with the URSA 4K both set to 1080, Raw, and same exact lenses (Sigma Art 18-35mm EF) that caused me to have the opinion I expressed above. Other folks who wrote articles about the CS and IQ have supported that reasoning hence I always had that belief. Anyway, it's interesting to know from you that the BMCC, BMPC, and big URSA had the same color science.

Cap’n where does the Micro Studio 4K fall in this, Gen 3?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Capín where does the Micro Studio 4K fall in this, Gen 3?
    Cheers
    I'm curious too, never having shot the Micro Studio.
    My experience shows Micro Cinema in-between BMCC and UM...Gen 2?

I think they can go on and on... bottom line, until 4K is cheap to produce and/or they can have better returns on investing in 4K, smart (that's why they are highly paid) producers will continue to make the decision to not shoot 4K.
    More people will shoot in 4k or even 8k but deliver in 1080p.
    Is the UMP 4.6k 1080p full sensor mode not down sampled from 4.6k?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    The newer colour science IS much closer to Alexa than the BMCC colour science with BMDFilm. Gen 4 is closer than its ever been. The BMCC is miles away in comparison.
    I mean, if you’re shooting in CinemaDNG does it matter? Couldn’t you just do a colour space transform and output as whatever colour science generation you want?

The sensor and it's refinement are the primary factors - before DNG or any transform.
    I'm no expert at all but I'm pretty sure that's the reason for R&D and ongoing sensor and camera development.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Couldn’t you just do a colour space transform and output as whatever colour science generation you want?
    The CST plugin assumes 6000K for the input (I've mentioned this a bunch in other threads), so for footage shot close to that wb it can be okay but footage shot around 3200K will not look very accurate at all (I've tested it and compared it to doing the transform based on the as shot CCT).
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

The CST assumes a 6000K white point for what exactly? Is it the source illuminant, color space, or sensor, if so which sensors? Don't all of the BM CSTs assume D65 white?