Thread: NAB 2018 Prediction

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    To actually make a point, I think rolling shutter, aliasing, and moire are the plague of Cmos sensors. I've had shots running through the middle of a train car on a global sensor that were far more usable than my creepiest crab down a hallway using a slow rolling shutter camera. I've never had the lack of DR on the pocket cam ruin a take but moire has ruined plenty or at the very least stopped the process trying to compose around it. I'm not taking anything from the Cinematographer when I say it's a much more rewarding experience to work with your tools rather than against them. The process is challenging enough without having to fight your gear, can I please concentrate on the art and not have to worry about getting the ringing out of this sweater.
    100% and sadly the most annoying part of buying a camera is that there seems to always be a downside. I think we're all just looking for that camera with no downside for us. The arguments occur depending on what you consider a downside. The hope is one day the tech is so good that no matter the configuration a camera is able to do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    I never said not to dive deeper into tech. We have to.
    I said that far too much time is wasted with this aspect of our profession on forums like this.

The tech you have will not make you a better cinematographer. If you suck with a DSLR, you will suck with an Arri 65. If you are great with a DSLR, you will be great with a Arri 65.
    The camera is just one of your tools. Others are light, movement, location, lenses ect.

If I am working on bigger projects, of course I chose a better camera over a worse, but 'better' to me is solely the image I see, not numbers.
    If you want to discuss about better cinematography there is a place you can post

http://www.bmcuser.com/forumdisplay....Cinematography

As others have said this is after all a camera forum and the thread in particular is about what is potentially new round the corner.

Thank you .
    My prediction for NAB:
    no BMPCC 2

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    I said it before and I will say it again. Resolve 15 and the firelight panels for this year. I think we saw the new camera with the broadcast camera release for this year. And you guys need to stop attacking Brawley every time he posts. He was directly involved with the testing development of we know the first cameras and the Ursa Mini Pro. If it was not for him the cameras released would not be as good as they are. He is closer to the company than most here. Why you guys attack him when he posts is beyond me. But you guys need to get your s**t in check. Most of you are not that scary good and he has the credentials to spank whatever you have done any day of the week. Damn. You figure this would be common knowledge by now. You should be respectful and thank him for the time that he does spend posting here. And if you read what he is saying, you will see he is giving us the straight answer.
    Last edited by daydreamersproductions; 02-25-2018 at 04:10 AM.
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Realistically, Blackmagic will not announce anything at NAB, they'll announce it in early March like they did last year. They announced new broadcast equipment last year in early February, and did the same this year. They announced new cinematic equipment last year in early March, and I expect the same this year.

Being realistic, I expect them to release a Pro version of the Mini 4K. It will sell for the same price as the Ursa Broadcast, effectively offering two flavors of the same camera. One for B4 ENG shooters, and one for those who want a more cinematic super35 camera.

Staying realistic, this camera will use the same old sensor as the original Mini 4K. Being more optimistic, it will offer a new sensor (wishfully hoping for a native 800 ISO & better DR). Either way Blackmagic will retire the original Mini 4K.

Also, I'm expecting a price drop for the 4.6K Pro with the original Mini 4.6K being retired.

Well I ask my self Who needs 4K ??
    https://vimeo.com/110024810

Quote Originally Posted by Cengiz Özgök View Post
    Well I ask my self Who needs 4K ??
    https://vimeo.com/110024810
    The Arri Alexa which is not 4K produces the best imagery and great color science. The only BMD camera that, I have said this many time before, has the closes imagery and color science to the Arri is the BMCC 2.5K. Used properly, I tell myself who needs 4K too. Nothing else comes close. I was disappointed when I sold my BMCC to buy the URSA, although for the right plan and project. I plan on buying another BMCC in the future. If BMD will come with a similar quality camera again, it will be a good thing.

Yes, but the Camera marketplace says 4K is in, HD is out, and BM must sell cameras to the general market. So all future BM cameras must be 4K, as is the new Broadcast Camera. That said, would be nice to get a full sensor dkwnscsled 2K recording. But, 4K has the advantages of allowing a larger and higher resolution image for downscaling in post back to HD, with the increase in detail. This is the main advantage I see, along with some minor rescaling of the image as needed.

Personally, I would love to see a new 2K HD camera, especially a S16/1-inch sensor likemthe Broadcast, or a STD 35/MFT size sensor, with a MFT mount. Meanwhile, the GH5S is looking good so far from early footage tests.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    The Arri Alexa which is not 4K produces the best imagery and great color science. The only BMD camera that, I have said this many time before, has the closes imagery and color science to the Arri is the BMCC 2.5K. Used properly, I tell myself who needs 4K too. Nothing else comes close. I was disappointed when I sold my BMCC to buy the URSA, although for the right plan and project. I plan on buying another BMCC in the future. If BMD will come with a similar quality camera again, it will be a good thing.
    ALEXA's sensor is 3392×2200 and that is a big part of its final output.

Even ARRI's cameras before it that were 2880x2160 (or another size) looked different.

IMO, your URSA and the URSA Minis have some of the best HD/2K in the world, and that would not be the case if these sensors were 2K or below. Even on the lower end, you can clearly clearly see the difference between the Pocket's HD and the BMCC's HD, which simply looks more crisp.

It's no secret that cameras have been looking better and better (80s, 90s, 2000s, etc) because of higher resolutions (and other variables).

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    ALEXA's sensor is 3392×2200 and that is a big part of its final output.

Even ARRI's cameras before it that were 2880x2160 (or another size) looked different.

IMO, your URSA and the URSA Minis have some of the best HD/2K in the world, and that would not be the case if these sensors were 2K or below. Even on the lower end, you can clearly clearly see the difference between the Pocket's HD and the BMCC's HD, which simply looks more crisp.

It's no secret that cameras have been looking better and better (80s, 90s, 2000s, etc) because of higher resolutions (and other variables).
    While ALEXA has had its sensor upgraded to to 3.3k, the older one at 2.8k was still good enough to create the fame and the success of the "Alexa look". But what should not be ignored is that ARRI has always done some very good upscaling in-camera to make the out put be 4k.

And for criminy - Game of Thrones is shot primarily on Alexas and the cinematography on that is STUNNING. Proving more and more that your RESOLUTION does not really need to be any more that 3.3k to achieve industry-standard top-of-the-line amazing imagery. You just have to have a camera with color and DR that is really really good.

I also agree that the original BMCC 2.5k is giving me the best final results of anything I have used short of the URSA mini 4.6k or REDs and the Panasonic Varicams.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine