Thread: Any point to buying used URSA major?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Any point to buying used URSA major? 
    While I'd really like to get the 4.6k URSA mini, I just don't have the $5000-$6000 cash (I'm saving to buy my wife a new car cash too) and I don't believe in buying things on credit. I really like the original big URSA form factor, inputs, monitors etc.... and have seen them for as cheap as $2200-2500 online. That I could afford, but with the URSA mini , regular 4k model w base ISO of 400 being only $3000, is it a "safer" bet just to get one of those?

I guess in a nutshell, is the $3000 URSA mini worth getting over a used $2500 big URSA if they both have the same base ISO etc....I really like the bigger form factor but having a warranty sounds nice.

Thanks for opinions.
    BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

The Ursa Mini 4k is great, and definitely better than Big URSA. There's really nothing nice about the bigger form factor.

Unless you absolutely need a camera right now, it would be a good idea to wait a little bit.

Last year, BMD held a broadcast event in early February and another event in early March. This year they've had a broadcast event in early February..........

I have no idea what they'll do, but I wouldn't buy before a second event or NAB.

We use several big URSA to date. It's been our workhorse. We have no need of anything greater than 4K. If you're not doing run and gun type shooting, the big URSA is still a viable option. The URSA mini 4K is good if you need something small for run and gun and has newer firmware. We do use the big URSA for movement shoots many times on shoulder and wires. It's heavy but very doable.

FYI, used Ursa Mini 4.6k's have been going around $3k recently. Blackmagic camera's have never had great resale value, and the UM Pro killed the value of the 4.6k's.

Honestly, unless you need something now, I'd probably wait until NAB to see what pops up. If anything, cameras will only get cheaper.

It's really too bad, the turret never came out, the Big-U would have bin a hell of a camera with it.
    But still, since prices are really coming down now, I was also thinking to get me one of the big boys.
    Really love the form factor and features. The sensor is still pretty amazing, and in a halfway controlled environment,
    it delivers very cinematic images.
    Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 02-20-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    It's really to bad, the turret never came out, the Big-U would have bin a hell of a camera with it.
    Really love the form factor and features. The sensor is still pretty amazing, and in a halfway controlled environment,
    it delivers very cinematic images.
    Couldn't agree more. ++1

They are going for so cheap now, if you're going to be using it for studio type work where the size of the camera isn't an issue you will get some damn good images out of it.

Rob.

Yours is still working fine back in the land where it came from.

I'm in the same conundrum as I"m looking to upgrade my BMPC4K. It's been a great little camera but the base ISO of 400 and no 60p is starting to grow old.