Thread: My very first narrative project - shot on the BMPCC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 My very first narrative project - shot on the BMPCC 
    Hey guys,

after testing and trying things in my studio for the last 2 years I finally shot my first short.
    We were a dp tag team. I lit, exposed and graded everything. My co dp Julia composed the shots.

I like were I have come, too. But please please help me becoming better.
    My biggest takeaway: I want color matching lenses. My Nikon AI lenses are either green or magenta. Only the 20mm is neutral.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSCB2FSkV0&t=69s
    Just released!

__F.1.jpg
    __D.1.jpg
    __I.1.jpg
    __E.1.jpg
    __B.1.jpg
    Last edited by Rotbart; 02-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Well the look of all these shots certainly match plenty well, so the lenses haven't hindered you. Although I wonder if perhaps you don't have one or two bad copies, because I don't have that problem with my Ai-S lenses and it's not something I have heard of before. Matching Nikkor Ai-S lenses to other brands? Yes. But among each other? No.

Looks really good though.
    Post the full short one day maybe?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Looks good. Seems you were the DP and she was more the camera op. Or did you both consult on how it was to be lit? I'm just trying to understand a co-dp situation since I've never done that and prob don't wish to.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Nice images. I do love my BMPCC. It's an awesome cinema camera. It's just that we've been shooting 4K lately so I've been using the URSA. Please post a link to the short or a trailer for it. I like how it is lit.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Well the look of all these shots certainly match plenty well, so the lenses haven't hindered you. Although I wonder if perhaps you don't have one or two bad copies, because I don't have that problem with my Ai-S lenses and it's not something I have heard of before. Matching Nikkor Ai-S lenses to other brands? Yes. But among each other? No.

Looks really good though.
    Post the full short one day maybe?
    Thanks. Thats a nice compliment to my very beginner grading skills. I was pulling hairs last night while trying getting them to match.
    I shot some tests with the Nikons, I might post them here. Maybe you could glance at them for a sec and if I indeed have a bad copy or if I just need a reason to buy that set of Sigma Art primes hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Looks good. Seems you were the DP and she was more the camera op. Or did you both consult on how it was to be lit? I'm just trying to understand a co-dp situation since I've never done that and prob don't wish to.
    I have never done that before aswell (as it is my first narrative project, only ever assisted in the lighting department bogger sets sets. But she did all the planing for angles and compositions with the director duo. So.... Anyone ever done this?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Nice images. I do love my BMPCC. It's an awesome cinema camera. It's just that we've been shooting 4K lately so I've been using the URSA. Please post a link to the short or a trailer for it. I like how it is lit.
    Thanks Will do BUT is a dialogue heavy german film. Might be a tough pill to swallow lol
    Thanks guys appreciate all of it!

Damn I miss this sweet camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotbart View Post
    Thanks. Thats a nice compliment to my very beginner grading skills. I was pulling hairs last night while trying getting them to match.
    I shot some tests with the Nikons, I might post them here. Maybe you could glance at them for a sec and if I indeed have a bad copy or if I just need a reason to buy that set of Sigma Art primes hehe

I have never done that before aswell (as it is my first narrative project, only ever assisted in the lighting department bogger sets sets. But she did all the planing for angles and compositions with the director duo. So.... Anyone ever done this?

Thanks Will do BUT is a dialogue heavy german film. Might be a tough pill to swallow lol
    Thanks guys appreciate all of it!
    Since the script dictates the emotion of the scene which then dictates type of camera movement, shot size and camera angles I believe the shared credit is deserved since she did all that with the directors. Camera ops aren't usually a part of that preproduction process. They usually do what the DP has already envisioned with the director .
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I also don't see a drastic color shift between set ups. It may be in part to your lights as well. It looks like you're on the wider side of the nikons. 20, 28? I struggle to get that wide on a S35 sensor no less the pocket so I assume you have a speedbooster. My Nikon AI and AIS don't have a distinguishable color shift. The only thing I notice is a small fraction difference in f stop light value between lenses. These aren't cinema T Stop lenses so there's a slight variation. Also I'd not base color or contrast on anything above 2.8 . 1.4 or 2.0 is going to give varied results in color and contrast.

I matched them in post, but I also used the Tokina 28-70 Zoom that has a different color (which is to be expected) - I just looked up the test that I shot for the Nikons - cant post it here as it looks horrendous. Really bad. Will reshoot that test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I also don't see a drastic color shift between set ups. It may be in part to your lights as well. It looks like you're on the wider side of the nikons. 20, 28? I struggle to get that wide on a S35 sensor no less the pocket so I assume you have a speedbooster. My Nikon AI and AIS don't have a distinguishable color shift. The only thing I notice is a small fraction difference in f stop light value between lenses. These aren't cinema T Stop lenses so there's a slight variation. Also I'd not base color or contrast on anything above 2.8 . 1.4 or 2.0 is going to give varied results in color and contrast.
    Also I am with you Jon, I shot this short on a constant F2.8 as my tests showed exactly what you describe.