Thread: Sigma ART Primes- which mount to get?

1. #1 Sigma ART Primes- which mount to get? 
    Hey peepz,

Nikon vs. Canon mount lenses - best flexibility.
    Plan: Buy a set of Sigma Art Primes.

I shoot Nikons only atm with A7s and BMPCC/Speedbooster, also Canon 80D at times.
    Nikon:
    + manual iris
    + already own all the adapters for EF Mount, E Mount and mFT cameras
    - no Video AF on Canon C100/C200/80D (or are there adapters that work well?)

Canon:
    + better rental item (?)
    + AF on Canon cameras is great, we own an 80D (only crappy lenses for that one, but great for BTS)
    - active adapters are much more expensive and will basically mean less flexibility when I am not shooting EF Mount

I would love your opinion.
    This is SUPER Micro budget. So buying a 4 lens set of Sigma ART primes is almost too much, but the need to buy a new speedbooster and active EF Mount to E Mount adapters might kill this idea.
    I am willing/need to sell my Nikon lenses to fund this, I am happy to switch to Canon if it makes sense.

Cheers
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rotbart View Post
    Hey peepz,

Nikon vs. Canon mount lenses - best flexibility.
    Plan: Buy a set of Sigma Art Primes.

I shoot Nikons only atm with A7s and BMPCC/Speedbooster, also Canon 80D at times.
    Nikon:
    + manual iris
    + already own all the adapters for EF Mount, E Mount and mFT cameras
    - no Video AF on Canon C100/C200/80D (or are there adapters that work well?)

Canon:
    + better rental item (?)
    + AF on Canon cameras is great, we own an 80D (only crappy lenses for that one, but great for BTS)
    - active adapters are much more expensive and will basically mean less flexibility when I am not shooting EF Mount

I would love your opinion.
    This is SUPER Micro budget. So buying a 4 lens set of Sigma ART primes is almost too much, but the need to buy a new speedbooster and active EF Mount to E Mount adapters might kill this idea.
    I am willing/need to sell my Nikon lenses to fund this, I am happy to switch to Canon if it makes sense.

Cheers
    Tim
    If you want an EF Mount to E Mount adapter, get the Sigma MC-11. It's only $250 and it works good with their ART Series lens. I use it on my Sony FS5 and A7Rii.

Andrew over at EOSHD loved that sigma adapter on the Riii but only for sigma lenses.

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/01/sony-a...-canon-lenses/

Last I remember hearing, the Sigma Art lenses in Nikon mount don't have manual/mechanical linkage apertures, all electronic.

I would do EF mount. More cinema cameras have either an EF or PL mount as base mount options - RED, BMD, Canon of course, Sigma has adapters for EF-E mount, and the list goes on. Well, that is if you're considering cinema cameras and not just stills. Nikon is a good brand and popular with still photographers too (if that is what you aim for).

Nikon:
    Less expensive
    Total Manual Iris control
    Nothing can go wrong electronically or with firmware or lens/speedbooster combos since there are no electronics.

EF:
    More Native mount lens usability on a wider variety of cameras as EYu pointed out above
    Stabilized lenses from Canon and others provide really great IS when needed. Not relevant for Sigma Primes, but once you choose one mount and set of lenses, you tend to stick with that trajectory. The 70-200mm canon for example has killer IS if you need that type of thing.

Thanks guys. you guys certainly helped me. I am gonna go all Canon mount and ditch the Nikons. Ouf. thats gonna be 600-700€ for adapters only urgs.