Thread: Short film

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Short film 
    Hey guys,

Here's my latest short film. It's really a labour of love. It was written, directed and DPd by me. Still finishing some last details with ADR and other post stuff. Shot with Ursa Mini 4.6k.

Hopefully i can get some feedback

https://vimeo.com/253853838

Pass: mhpshorter

Looks great, just glanced through it as I am at work. So cant comment on story or audio. Only on looks
    What lenses(and filters)did you use, and what lighting setups did you use? If you dont mind me asking

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Looks great, just glanced through it as I am at work. So cant comment on story or audio. Only on looks
    What lenses(and filters)did you use, and what lighting setups did you use? If you dont mind me asking
    Hi! I used 4 different lenses: Sigma 18-35, Zeiss 50mm 1.4, Zeiss 85mm 1.4 and Tokina 28-70 2.6-2.8. Lighting setups... there were quite a few. Outdoors were mainly bouncers. Indoors I used quite a few different lighting setups, but I used mostly tungsten fresnels for most scenes, cinefoil, flags, bleached and unbleached muslim frames for softer lighting... I used LED lighting as well in the night outdoor sequence. If you want to know the setup of a particular scene, I'll gladly describe it.

Please let me know once you've watched it

Cheers

Outstanding.
    A true joy to watch.
    Excellently crafted on every level.
    Great audio and excellent use of music.

(If you want critiques - the only thing I could even come up with is the head-on shot of the street man when the Dad arrives is over lit. Lost the mood that every other shot has.
    Maybe throw a couple power windows on it and re-light it a bit. But seriously, that's the ONLY thing I could come up with. This is beautiful.)
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Thanks Dane, that really means a lot! I will look again into that homeless man head shot. It's funny as I kind of feel the same as you. I will definitely try some power windows.

Thanks for watching!

David this short was great. Bravo!
    Very touching and pleasingly shot.

Thanks Timothy. Glad you liked it!

Showed this to my wife last night. She said it was the best short she's seen in a couple of years.
    ...and she sees A LOT of stuff.
    Afterwards she talked for a while about how it reminded her of how she felt as a child. Then she spoke at length about times with her own kids when she could see the difference between her world and theirs poking through, and how this story reminded her of them.
    This is a really good piece David. You should be proud of it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Showed this to my wife last night. She said it was the best short she's seen in a couple of years.
    ...and she sees A LOT of stuff.
    Afterwards she talked for a while about how it reminded her of how she felt as a child. Then she spoke at length about times with her own kids when she could see the difference between her world and theirs poking through, and how this story reminded her of them.
    This is a really good piece David. You should be proud of it.
    Thanks for those words, Dane. I think that's the reason most of us enjoy making films: to make other people feel something that's important to us (at least important enough that we invested time and money into the project). I have to say, being a father changed a lot of my perception of the world and how I feel things. So making this film was kind of a way to express that change and, at the same time, try to film a story from the perspective of a little girl. How would she cope with having busy parents that became dettached from her, making her just one more item in the long list of tasks to perform in their daily routine.

Thanks for watching.

David, Thank you for sharing this short with us. It's touching and one of the shorts I really liked watching. From all the post that you have had with questions, I believe it took you a while to put this together and it really shows because the details in composition, sound, and especially the lighting is on par. What an accomplishment. I hope you will document your journey on how you find the inspiration on shooting the different scenes and what you did to accomplish those shots. It will be worth reading. I look forward to future shorts from you.