Thread: URSA Broadcast!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, any camera that can be connected to a switch, can be used for Broadcasting, but that does not necessarily make them a purpose made Broadcast Camera as shuch. I do not see the Irsa Broadcast being marketed for the big network or affiliate broadcasters, but more towards the cable TV, community Public Access and live streaming “broadcasting” using the internet. After all even NAB recognized that live streaming and network distribution is the next big broadcast market. I think a Grant is and has, pointed his “broadcasting” equipment towards that market segment. Just like the Ursa Mini, and other Cine style cameras were made to bring quality Cine production equipment to independent and a Indie film makers, and not necessarily trying to sell them to the big Hollywood studios.

So, John B. used BMCC, Ursa Minis and the Ursa Mini Pro to shoot productions that are for TV Broadcasting market, does that make the BM Cine type cameras he is using a “Broadcast” Camera? No, nor is the UM Pro a Broadcast Camera, but it can be used for one, within its limitations, imposed by its large sensor. To me a “Broadcast” Camera is a small sensor camera designed for live and recorded multiple camera productions (TV Shows, News Programs, etc) withnthe Camera being controlled from a central control room (CCU), etc.

ENG cameras are different, but some can be used as Broadcast cameras as Howie pointed out, and today even DSLRs are being used for TV News gathering, which is part of the segment market Panasonic is aiming its new GH5S at. Is the GH5S and “Broadcast” Camera, no, but it could be called a ENG camera, where a smaller less oblivious camera is needed, especially for documentary shooting where less is more.
    Each market has its camera requirements, and yes, there is some overlap, and all cameras are a set of compromises, each with their strong points and weak points or lack of features.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 02-02-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Anyway, not something I want to buy. I was hoping more for a micro URSA 4.6K for cinema with global shutter and higher ISO, without monitor but EVF for less than 3K. You can attached the 7" VA for monitoring.

That would be nice, but you are not going to get a UM 4.6 sensor in a S16 Micro format. S16 sensor technology is just getting good 4K resolution. Some day it might happen, but not at this time, tomorrow perhaps EYu.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 02-02-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Maxxxxxxxxxxximum Blackmagic

Attachment 25663
    $12,000 worth of camera hanging of of a cool $250,000 of glass and support. BM had better be careful. They might have to start manufacturing lenses soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    ...can be sued for Boradcasting...
    But only when you use the Karfelons' copyright materials.

I think BMD is doing a wise thing here. Different cameras based on a common body. Very much like what Bolex did with their 16mm film cameras.

Yes, the new Broadcast Camera is very much like the Bolex 16mm film cameras in their modular approach.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    They might have to start manufacturing lenses soon.
    Yeah, I was thinking abou tthis as well. It would be awesome if they came up with awesome affordable Anamorphic lenses. Even 4K a lens would be an instant buy(would only buy one then haha, and sell off ally my other lenses).

Can this camera please have low latency! I have been trying to figure out a way to make these Ursas work in a live IMag situation for a long time. But the delay kills them for me. If this camera only has a frame or two of delay, they will sell tons of these to live event folks.
    -Michael Beck
    RawCinema.net

Actually Grant said in the press conference it has less than 1 frame so you should be good to go!