Thread: URSA Broadcast!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Confirmed.

Effective Sensor Size
    2/3 inch sensor size when using 4K B4 mount (Actual sensor size 13.056mm x 7.344mm)

Same size as the Micro 4K, might be a newer version might be the same. I notice they're not mentioning the stop loss of the adapter anywhere. Better to put this stuff out in the open before people lose their minds as they are oft inclined to do on the interwebs.

Would be nice to see a form of this adapter for the MFT cams. People have been asking for one since the studio cameras were released.
    Last edited by Howie Roll; 02-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.

This may be good news for Broadcasters and BMD since they've been planning to move more towards the broadcasting market. I sure did predict this when they made the UMP a pseudo broadcast camera to entice that market segment. I'm a narrative filmmaker and this cameras and equipment is really not for my work. I have depended on BMD cameras for much of my short and feature narrative films. I believe that the UMP 4.6K and Ursa Minis shelf life is ticking down and that by mid 2018, we will see the last of its firmware updates. The UMP will be obsolete just like the BMCC and BMPC got obsolete when the URSA 4K came out, and the URSA 4K became obsolete (and turret never came) when the URSA Minis came. I think they made this switch and decision because BMD struggled to get their cameras into the Film industry that is dominated by Arri, Canon, and RED. I know a lot of folks in broadcast and live production who saw the announcement. Although they are elated by the new ATEM and conversion hardware, the URSA broadcast to them is pretty much not going to dominate. The Canon and Sony, and some Panasonics own the broadcast and live production cameras. Even the cheap price point of the URSA Broadcast is not enough to change their mind. The Canon and Sony has its based. Good luck BMD. As for me, a narrative film maker, I guess I need to start looking elsewhere. Now a bigger concern for me is... will there be a Resolve in the future since color grading is not much of a need with broadcast cameras? That's a big concern because Resolve is an awesome and cheap professional NLE.

Uh, Canon doesn't make a broadcast camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Uh, Canon doesn't make a broadcast camera.
    They do. The XF305 is one and it's BBC approved.

The XF is more of a hybrid camera like the Micro Cameras, an not a broadcast camera per se. Canon’s Broadcast market is mainly with lenses, for Sony Broadcast Cameras, as a Sony basically dominates the broadcast camera market. BM has been involved in broadcast support equipment, and it is where they started in this industry. Adding broadcast cameras come with their charge 8nto the Cine camera market, by bringing both types of cameras to market way below the cost of the other high end cameras, to support their involvement with a Resolve, which is where BM is a major player in this industry.
    Cheers

That's an ENG camcorder. Sony HDC 2500, Grass Valley LDX86, Ikegami HDK73 are "broadcast" cameras. If it takes a battery you can put in your pocket and doesn't support SMPTE fibre, Triax, or connect to a CCU it's probably not a broadcast camera. Its semantics and analogous to stating any camera used in a film is a "cinema" camera.

Howie, you are correct it is semantic. But the landscape of broadcast cameras, particularly for the fast pace news media where right to the minute news is capture, has been dramatically changing. It is more common to see a news camera person recording using video DSLR and their IPhones and getting it uploaded for breaking news than a news crew with a camera person carrying a broadcast camera. I think the last I saw one was for a weathermen and his camera crew shooting the firestorm in San Diego, and the camera was a Sony... probably a Sony 650F. And Yes, Sony is the major broadcast cam producers and Canon makes ENG. But they are just semantically different. They both are used for the same purpose. Sony even brands their broadcast models as camcorders too (see this for example - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Camcorder.html).

Yes, BMD has been in the business of making broadcast hardware and that's how they started. That does not mean the broadcast industry will also have the same interest in their cameras. Their cinema camera was interesting to individual film makers and low budget productions and that was the secret sauce they had. I guess it is not panning out for them.

My two cents here, if there is a news person today, he or she should be equipped with a DSLR that has UHD video and wireless connectivity, SD Cards, lav mic and shotgun mic, and a bunch of batteries in their pocket. That's really all they need to capture a live event. I think the GH5s is a good example for this type of work, lighter and more compact that the old style ENG clunky over the shoulder cameras and long servo driven B-mount lenses.
    Last edited by EYu; 02-01-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    That's an ENG camcorder. Sony HDC 2500, Grass Valley LDX86, Ikegami HDK73 are "broadcast" cameras. If it takes a battery you can put in your pocket and doesn't support SMPTE fibre, Triax, or connect to a CCU it's probably not a broadcast camera. Its semantics and analogous to stating any camera used in a film is a "cinema" camera.
    The XF305 has 3G-SDI out, Genlock, Timecode Ref and there is the RC-V100 CCU from Canon for the XF and EOS C lines: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_rc_v100.html

Canon themselves calls it a broadcast camera:
    http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...xf305_xf300.do

Sorry guys, I've spent 2 decades in broadcast, theres a difference between an ENG camera with a paintbox and a broadcast camera. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Most broadcast cameras don't even record. Back in the day you could swap backs on "Industrial" cameras. The Sony D50 had "broadcast" backs for Triax or Multicore, but you could also swap out for "ENG" backs that could be DVCam or BetaSP. The older Sony 537, son of the M7 series, even had VHS and I believe HI8. I don't know that I've since seen any HD camera that supports this functionality.

ENG is an acronym for Electronic News Gathering if that helps you make the distinction between ENG and broadcast. Can you use an ENG camera in a "broadcast" most definitely, but it's not how the terms are defined. Feel free to disagree it doesn't hurt my tender feelings or broaden the definition of the tools I use daily.

Howie, I am not here for winning an argument with you ;-)

I've done broadcast for over a decade and the definition isn't black and white (haha - the wording!). It doesn't matter if a camera has backs for Triax or if they are mounted separately - it only matters what you will do with it - and if you broadcast with it, then in my book it is a broadcast camera.