Thread: Low light 4.6K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Any tips on applying grain on dark footage? I allways add grain to my footage to make it more film like. But the grain automatically seems to lift the blacks.
    Think about it, grain is by nature a variance of luminance values. If you add noise to the blacks, they're gonna lift because the average luminance of that pixel is above black.

If you want to keep blacks nice and rich you probably have to use a secondary to limit the grain from affecting the blacks.
    Aaron Lochert

Absolutely, and don't try to apply grain and then pull the blacks down again, or you'll get ugly blotchy noise.

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    Think about it, grain is by nature a variance of luminance values. If you add noise to the blacks, they're gonna lift because the average luminance of that pixel is above black.

If you want to keep blacks nice and rich you probably have to use a secondary to limit the grain from affecting the blacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Absolutely, and don't try to apply grain and then pull the blacks down again, or you'll get ugly blotchy noise.
    Thanks guys, this might be the most awesome advice ever! But when I read LochnessDigitals reply, I was about to drop the shadows after applying the grain. And then I read Nomad's Reply So could you guys clarify a bit more in detail on how to do this? (as I am not sure how to do this?)

Thanks a lot guys!

Just make a matte for mids and highlights and apply the grain to that part of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Just make a matte for mids and highlights and apply the grain to that part of the image.
    Dont have acces to Resolve atm(@work), but something like this? https://davidtorcivia.com/articles/f...avinci-resolve

If I'm doing a nice full grade (as opposed to quick turn around stuff) I'll do three nodes, one for mid lows, true mids and mid highs and I apply different grain densities and such to each one. True mids have the most grain, followed by mid highs and mid lows. Full highs and full lows I don't add grain to. The grain on real film is not uniformly evident across all luminance ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    If I'm doing a nice full grade (as opposed to quick turn around stuff) I'll do three nodes, one for mid lows, true mids and mid highs and I apply different grain densities and such to each one. True mids have the most grain, followed by mid highs and mid lows. Full highs and full lows I don't add grain to. The grain on real film is not uniformly evident across all luminance ranges.
    Nice! Could you make a tutorial for that! I would love to see how you do it in detail.
    Last edited by polaroid22; 02-15-2018 at 06:45 AM.

I'm currently on the road for work, but I'd be happy to make a YouTube tutorial on this next week when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    I'm currently on the road for work, but I'd be happy to make a YouTube tutorial on this next week when I get back.
    Awesome thanks!