Thread: Trying to expose the subject correctly after fixing background clipping

1. #1 Trying to expose the subject correctly after fixing background clipping 
    I am shooting an event using an FS5 in a room where the stage backdrop has dots of bright blue lights that clips when the subject (speaker) is correctly exposed. I have fixed the clipping by adjusting the aperture and with ND filters. The ISO is set to 800. Now my subject is underexposed. I know I could probably through working a spot light on the subject but is there any other technique you may suggest to correctly expose the suggest without causing the background blue lights to clip?

Is there any way you might arrange to have the blue lights projected at a slightly lower intensity?
    If they have no dimming - could you use a scrim on them?

Other than adding light to the subject.... hmmm....
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Thanks Dane. I've got them dimmed down and having a scrim is not an option. Best I could do for now is have overhead spot light on the subject and it is doing the job.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I am shooting an event using an FS5 in a room where the stage backdrop has dots of bright blue lights that clips when the subject (speaker) is correctly exposed. I have fixed the clipping by adjusting the aperture and with ND filters. The ISO is set to 800. Now my subject is underexposed. I know I could probably through working a spot light on the subject but is there any other technique you may suggest to correctly expose the suggest without causing the background blue lights to clip?
    This is the choice of exposure. I always say there's never a correct exposure, just the choice of what exposure you will make.

Every camera has a specific dynamic range and you have to try and work the situation to make sure you expose for what's important to you (the choice)

You can only make that choice in camera to have or have not if the contrast of the scene exceeds the dynamic range of the camera...or

You adjust the circumstances in front of the camera. You add light to bring up what's underexposed. You reduce light that you can control through electrical dimming, or other physical means in front of the light source. (wires, scrims, ND)

Or you change the staging and your shot to take away or reduce the uncontrollable elements.

JB

Thanks for your insight JB.

How bad do the clipped blue lights look? And are they chroma clipping or luma clipping? If you can't physically get both the lights and the subject within exposure, surely it's better to let the lights clip than to dramatically under-expose the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by RyLo View Post
    How bad do the clipped blue lights look? And are they chroma clipping or luma clipping? If you can't physically get both the lights and the subject within exposure, surely it's better to let the lights clip than to dramatically under-expose the subject.
    It shows they are clipped in the highlights (shows white light, zebras all over), particularly in the center where the blue light has more intensity and hard to recover in post. I lowered the light intensity and scrimmed it and that fixed the clipping, however the blue background looked washed out on stage. I have not done any music videos or shot concerts and watching how those strobes and colored back lights in them, I wonder how those guys shoot them and those lights are not clipping, just perfect.

Fill light.