Thread: [FREEBIE] Director's Viewfinder app for iPhone / iPad

1. #1 [FREEBIE] Director's Viewfinder app for iPhone / iPad 
    Hey folks,

I developed a free director's viewfinder app for iPhones / iPad (poor man's Artemis? )
    The suported cameras are BMCC, BMPC4K, Pocket, URSAs

It lets you see exact framing for your favorite Blackmagic camera just where you stand with an iPhone in your hand.

So you can plan your next shoot on location even if you don't have a camera or a lens with you.

The app features support for:

- optical adapters (boosters)
    - anamorphic lenses
    - LUTs (M31, Teal+Orange, etc)
    - frame guides

The app has ads but I tried to make them non-intrusive. Besides, you can turn it off.

Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think.

Magic Cinema ViewFinder by Roman Medvid
    Last edited by rommex; 01-18-2018 at 07:09 AM.

I think it's a good start. I'd like the ability to hide the overlays, especially the camera button and still thumbnail in the lower right.

My first problem with the app is that it burned through a full battery charge yesterday. Woke up this morning and the phone was dead. Battery Usage monitor listed "Magic Cinema ViewFinder" as the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl R. Thurston View Post
    I think it's a good start. I'd like the ability to hide the overlays, especially the camera button and still thumbnail in the lower right.

My first problem with the app is that it burned through a full battery charge yesterday. Woke up this morning and the phone was dead. Battery Usage monitor listed "Magic Cinema ViewFinder" as the culprit.
    Hi Earl, thanks for your note.

1. Still thumbnail can be auto-hidden through a Settings menu. The camera button.... Well, it is needed, isn't it?

2. The app is constantly processing the live image, 60 times per second. Now wonder it just eats the battery away. So you cannot leave the iPhone idle with the app active for a long time. But I will think about some locker for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rommex View Post
    The camera button.... Well, it is needed, isn't it?
    It may be for some people (not really for what I need). I'm more concerned with being able to see 100% of the image, since there could be important things in the corners I do/don't want to see in the final shot. (Dolly track, booms, etc.) Perhaps the camera button could be moved farther into the lower-right corner so it only covers the zoom scale.

It may be for some people (not really for what I need). I'm more concerned with being able to see 100% of the image, since there could be important things in the corners I do/don't want to see in the final shot. (Dolly track, booms, etc.) Perhaps the camera button could be moved farther into the lower-right corner so it only covers the zoom scale.
    Hi Earl,

In the last update you can temporarily remove the UI to see the clear picture with a side swipe. The same swipe brings everything back. Give it a try )

Now you can swipe to a side to clean the view. Another swipe will restore the controls

Added a new feature -- comparison of two different formats. Check it out

Thank you so much, man!