Thread: Viltrox EF-M2 electronic speedbooster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Viltrox EF-M2 electronic speedbooster 
    So the Viltrox EF-M2 is getting al the positive reviews from GH5 users as a metabones speedbooster alternative with autofocus and auto Iris controls!

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?...cid=145&id=181

Now I am curious: has somebody tested this adapter with the bmpcc / bmmcc?

Where are the positive reviews? That's just a link to the product info.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Where are the positive reviews? That's just a link to the product info.
    Yes.
    The Viltrox offering will have to pass serious measure AS A LENS first and foremost. Metabones has had many competitors and almost all of them were optically DISMAL.
    At less than 1/3 the price of the Metabones version....let's just say I'm not super optimistic.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Yes.
    The Viltrox offering will have to pass serious measure AS A LENS first and foremost. Metabones has had many competitors and almost all of them were optically DISMAL.
    At less than 1/3 the price of the Metabones version....let's just say I'm not super optimistic.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I agree.
    Me as well, but the reviews on youtube seem realy optimistic. So far I can't find any examples with the blackmagic pocket and micro. And Viltrox hasn't responded yet.

A late update:
    I found mixed reports. Some say the adapter works perfectly when you reset (reconnect) the adapter when the camera is powered on.

Somebody else send me a pm with the following:

"I ordered the adapter and tested it. Unfortunately it does not work at all with my bmpcc.
    I tried sigma 10-20, sigma 17-50, yongnuo 35mm f2, and cannon 50mm f1.4.

I was never able to control the lens via the camera nor did i get any info about the f-stop. I was also never available to control the aperture via jo wheel on the adapter with neither of the lenses mentioned above.

I tried a firmware update which seemed to work properly, but nothing changed.

So I guess it is incompatible with the bmpcc."

I have one for my GH5 and at least that pairing works very well.

I've used it with the following lenses and all electronics worked as expected:
    Sigma 18-35mm ART
    Sigma 20mm (an old one, I believe it was a F2.8, briefly borred it)
    Canon 50mm F1.4
    ...and some manual lenses suchs as Leicas and Zeiss

THe image quality compared to my Metabones Speedboosters (both Nikon and Canon) is almost on par. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's about 85-90% as good, while not costing 85-90% as much.

It seems though that the quality control is not as consistent as with Metabones though - I may have lucked out and gotten a good copy.

edit: just to clarify, I have yet to try it on a blackmagic camera - I hope it works with the Pocket 4K. Until then I'll not really have an opportunity to test it on something other than my GH5.

Quote Originally Posted by okb812 View Post
    THe image quality compared to my Metabones Speedboosters (both Nikon and Canon) is almost on par. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's about 85-90% as good, while not costing 85-90% as much.
    In what ways is the Metabones 10-15% better? Optically, mechanically, or a mix of both?

Quote Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
    In what ways is the Metabones 10-15% better? Optically, mechanically, or a mix of both?
    Mechanically it's definitely better - the Viltrox doesn't wobble or anything, but the metabones just feels a bit tighter and better laid out to me. It snaps into place just a bit better on both mounts.

Optically there's not as much between them - the corners on the Viltrox seem a bit softer to me - there's just a bit more dropoff in sharpness, but not in a way that you would immediately notice - or at least I don't immediately notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by okb812 View Post
    Mechanically it's definitely better - the Viltrox doesn't wobble or anything, but the metabones just feels a bit tighter and better laid out to me. It snaps into place just a bit better on both mounts.

Optically there's not as much between them - the corners on the Viltrox seem a bit softer to me - there's just a bit more dropoff in sharpness, but not in a way that you would immediately notice - or at least I don't immediately notice it.
    Thanks for the info. That pretty much sums up my experience with the Mitakon EF-MFT dummy adapter compared to the official MB. Almost there in terms of optical quality, but not quite. Still, going to run this Viltrox through its paces when the P4K drops.

Welcome to the forum. Don't feed the trolls.