Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    The ALEXA LF sensor isn’t really new, it’s just two vertical ALEV-III sensors, which are stitched together to create a seamless large format image. This is the same principle of how they created the ALEXA 65, which uses three Alexa sensors that are arranged vertically.
    Maybe something blackmagic can test to create a UMP65.

I don't really see Blackmagic in this market. They aim for products which can be sold in large quantities to the masses. That makes it possible to get nice quality images for an affordable price. If they would go the UMP65 route as you imagined, it will no longer appeal to the masses. That raises the cost per unit and they will enter ARRI territory - and ARRI is hard to beat at the same playfield.

So I guess the question is, does the announcement of the new broadcast camera make the possibility of a new cinema camera (like a pocket 2) more or less likely to be announced in the near future?

They might throw us a bone with a Pocket 2 but it seems more and more like the cinema cameras were just an experiment...it's clear how much work they are putting into the broadcasting industry.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    They might throw us a bone with a Pocket 2 but it seems more and more like the cinema cameras were just an experiment...it's clear how much work they are putting into the broadcasting industry.
    They were focused on the broadcast industry long before they developed the cinema cameras - it's not some new emphasis.

Why does it seem "more and more" that cinema cameras were an experiment?
    They virtually owned two cycles of NAB with their affordable and, yes an overused but genuinely appropriate term here - revolutionary cinema cameras.

They've never said anything regarding a pocketish/microish 4k camera other than there are obvious cooling issues involved in delivering what we and they expect from a BM camera image.
    It's R&D. it is what it is.

It's like saying that because Apple released a new Mac Pro, they saw iPhones as an experiment.
    No - they're paying attention to one segment of their business model while clearly doing other things well too.

That's what good companies do.
    If the cooling tech is there, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll have something to show at NAB...cause, you know, the Pocket has been kind of successful for them.

Even if they doubled the physical volume of the Pocket to meet 4k raw cooling needs, it'd still be smaller than a GH5. I still think an Ursa 'Micro' about the size of an FS5 would also be a very nice option. And a GH5C, we'll call it - a GH5 in a cinema cam body, fitting in the middle price-wise between the GH5S and the EVA1. $3K-3.5K in price fits very comfortably in the market. More competition and more options. Maybe Sony will some day release the A7SIII and FS5 mk II. And I have high hopes for the inevitable Fuji X-H2.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    They were focused on the broadcast industry long before they developed the cinema cameras - it's not some new emphasis.

Why does it seem "more and more" that cinema cameras were an experiment?
    They virtually owned two cycles of NAB with their affordable and, yes an overused but genuinely appropriate term here - revolutionary cinema cameras.

They've never said anything regarding a pocketish/microish 4k camera other than there are obvious cooling issues involved in delivering what we and they expect from a BM camera image.
    It's R&D. it is what it is.

It's like saying that because Apple released a new Mac Pro, they saw iPhones as an experiment.
    No - they're paying attention to one segment of their business model while clearly doing other things well too.

That's what good companies do.
    If the cooling tech is there, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll have something to show at NAB...cause, you know, the Pocket has been kind of successful for them.
    Never said it was new.

They owned two cycles of NAB in your opinion. Other people didn't know who they were and those who did still wouldn't consider their cameras.

Companies are interested in making millions of dollars not hundreds of thousands. Cinema cameras for "filmmakers" on BMCuser won't help. Just because the pocket was "successful" aka we all loved it doesn't mean it's best for business.

"They owned two cycles of NAB in your opinion."

There were a lot more opinions than my mine. If you go back 5 years ago or so, it was a pretty common perception at the shows and on the internets and stuff.

"Companies are interested in making millions of dollars not hundreds of thousands."

Which companies? Some are intrested in making tens of thousands, some in making billions of dollars too.
    I have a company. I'm interested in making hundreds of thousands of dollars. And millions too. They're not mutually exclusive concepts depending on your model.
    Our model is lot's of different sized clients and projects. None are "best".

I'm guessing you know as much about Grant P's model as I do, which is to say I don't have a valid opinion on the matter.

"Just because the pocket was "successful" aka we all loved it doesn't mean it's best for business."

Again, success isn't exclusive to only things that are "best" for a company's growth. Successful businesses grow incrementally with lot's of "better" products as they develop and refine.

When a company (any company) releases multiple cameras (and other cool products) both years it's bound to get attention. And it was a different time. Those camera specs were impressive. That will never happen again because everything is now a 'great' product and thoroughly covered by everyone.

I would classify myself in that group that went crazy for BM those NAB years, but again other people were not phased by anything they offered because they saw them as another unproven camera company; just another attempt at someone trying to make a camera which at that time there were a few.

I agree in that new companies don't always have to make products that will be best for business (initially), but BM is past that point. The bottom line is there is only so much money you can make from a $999 niche camera that in one summer briefly sold for $499. Whether you're selling it, I'm selling it, or Grant Petty is selling it. Even if it was $1,499. That's why I think a 4K Pocket 2 (which I would definitely buy) would only be that bone for the loyal BM camera supporters.

At least with the broadcast gear, they can sell multiple units plus the various hardware. Not everyone needs all of their broadcasting/field equipment, but there is so much more potential in making more money.

As crazy as this sounds, I still have not seen a 4.6K URSA Mini in Manhattan. ARRI, RED, Sony, Canon.

Again, I love BM, but these cameras aren't as popular as one might think outside of BMCuser or YouTube. And I'm saying that meaning if they were everywhere or as much as some other cameras, maybe I wouldn't consider them as experiments. (Of course they definitely get used.)

It's okay for us to disagree, lol.
    Last edited by NorBro; 02-02-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's okay for us to disagree, lol.

Agreed.

If they introduced a 4k Pocketish camera for $1999 I think it would be a wonderful.

From a business model standpoint (just considering the landscape as you are) I could see a Microish 4k - essentially the Micro Studio (that Denny really likes for 4k production) with the Cinema camera latitude.
    Then, adapt the well developed VA to allow touch screen menu access and you've broken new ground again this time in a great, small modular system.
    And done it with systems that you've already developed and that are already better than the gen 1 Pocket except for the buttons/menu access. But they've already evolved battery and HDMI for the camera and built great affordable VAs with recorders.

But who knows.