Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Yep. Exactly.

Weirdly not much has changed has it ?

Canon have only *barely* started to do RAW on some of their cameras, but it's what...5 years later ? Digital Bolex were going to be the real indie camera...nope. Oh, wait, it's AJA who'll really show them how it's done...nope. GoPro..every NAB they would say, GoPro are going to use cineform and show them how it's done...nope. Kinefinity ? Nope. Meanwhile, RED finally got ProRes working..kind of...sometimes...

Things are better, but in reality, they aren't that much different. Sony and Canon et al still artificially restrict what their hardware can do.

When Grant first showed me the mock up of the camera that would be launched as the BMCC, he told me he wanted to give those that couldn't afford an Alexa type camera a better alternative to a 5Dmk2 because it only shot 8 bit 264 compressed garbage.

He wasn't trying to take on Arri or RED, just make something that 5DMK2 shooters would want to upgrade too, something that DLSR shooters would find better than 8 bit video in a better codec from a high dynamic range sensor. Originally they weren't even going to do any compression. It was RAW only.

That's why it sold for 3K and had an EF mount (which had just gone out of copyright). They weren't even planning the MFT mount, it just happened as a cheap way for us to get PL mount and other mounts adapted. Notice it was a dumb mount ?

They weren't even sure if people would buy it, seeing as they hadn't really planned to start up a camera division. It just kind of evolved.

When it launched, they beat even Arri at being the very first camera to do uncompressed RAW and ProRes (and dnx) all internally and for all 3 thousand bucks. In 2012. They didn't even realise themselves how much of a trailblazer they were. Having zero history of ever building cameras. And still, not really much can touch that today as it's gone EOL.

We all thought it would change the artificial restricting and protecting of segmentation of the "big" manufactures to give us more options on the codec and bit depth. But we've only got one camera doing 10 bit (kind of) and none are doing ProRes or RAW.

Blackmagic have never done this. Their cameras are always fully optioned for what the hardware can do and if anything, each camera does a different job, rather than having different specs based on a price point. That's how they think of product.

JB
    THIS.

Encapsulates the entire discussion.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Huh ?

An ursa mini is smaller than an Alexa Mini.
    Attachment 25662

Really? Weird, all the photos make the Alexa Mini look much smaller. Listed dimensions are smaller too...

But I guess the Alexa Mini gets built up more? And certainly the heavier weight is a factor I hadn't considered.
    Last edited by Flabasha; 02-01-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    Really? Weird, all the photos make the Alexa Mini look much smaller. Listed dimensions are smaller too...

But I guess the Alexa Mini gets built up more? And certainly the heavier weight is a factor I hadn't considered.
    Considering the Alexa Mini battery plate has to be on rails, that alone sizes the mini up a fair bit from the body only. In many instances the Alexa Mini is about the size of an Amira when you factor in the battery on rails and the poorly designed C Fast card slot/door that means there needs to a C Fast card's worth of space between the battery plate and the rear of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post

You see pictures posted of an Alexa mini body, but i said "ready to shoot"

You have to add power, and some kind of rigging if you want to add MDRs and Focus motors. And a screen, or the EVF at least.

That all makes it bigger.

I've seen some builds where you can do some of that offboard, so in a backpack or a belt pack, but the body is still in no way smaller than an Ursa Mini and you're then tethered in some way.

JB

Let's see if we're delighted with a new camera today.

100% chance of a new camera.

Yeah, a broadcast camera. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Schumann View Post
    100% chance of a new camera.
    Ok, let me rephrase the thread topic:
    Probability of a new BMD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CINEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! camera in 2018?

Not every camera is going to satisfy ER very one. Different tools for different jobs. For me, most of my work is for cable broadcast and streaming, so the new Ursa Broadcast checks more boxes for me, than the Ursa Mini 4.6, and the UM Pro. The new 1-inch sensor (same size as the Micro Studio sensor) offeres a higher resolution image than having to use the UM in HD (smaller window than S16 gate) or 2K window mode to use B4 broadcast or S16 lenses.
    The new camera can take the PL mount, so I can use the lenses I already have.

Cheers