Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    There is a very real possibility that BM is just not that interested in the DSLR market segment anymore. It would take massive amounts of R&D to compete with the features offered by even the most basic DSLR. Autofocus, IBIS, EIS, high ISO, picture profiles, etc., this just isn't how BM designs their products. BM's got a Live Production/Broadcast update scheduled for Thursday morning, we'll see if my URSA Studio prediction comes true.

^It's true...we're a long way from 2012/2013.

BM users love their BM cameras, but the rest of the world today wouldn't consider one without everything above and MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    ^It's true...we're a long way from 2012/2013.

BM users love their BM cameras, but the rest of the world today wouldn't consider one without everything above and MORE.
    I'd agree that BM is not going to spend time trying to get consumer-friendly tech like IBIS into their cameras. They just can't compete in that sphere, nor should they. But if they downsize their cameras to Scarlet/Alexa Mini size, they can grab that marketshare.

Nobody's complaining about lack of autofocus or IBIS in the Scarlet/Alexa Mini...

The sizes aren't that much different, especially when you build the cameras up..

And the new REDs actually have auto-focus! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    There is a very real possibility that BM is just not that interested in the DSLR market segment anymore.
    I'd argue that they never were in that market or aimed at it.

We are all to quick to forget that BMD were the ones who democratized the cinema camera market.

They gave us cinematic dynamic range, cinematic color science and raw footage capture for the price of a DSLR, and shortly after even for under $1000. Their aim was never to get into the DSLR market segment (but surely their target group was there) but to create a new one - cinema (and live) cameras for the masses.

And 6 years later, most DSLRs still shoot 8bit compressed.

Because they also decided to give away for free one of the best (and not too long ago incredibly expensive) coloring software in the world, just to keep developing it further into a full video and audio editing suite - plus because of the Aussie accent - I have Blackmagic Design on the first place in my book of cool companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    But if they downsize their cameras to Scarlet/Alexa Mini size, they can grab that marketshare.
    Huh ?

It's already smaller and lighter ready to shoot.

An ursa mini is smaller than an Alexa Mini. Its lighter, it's not as tall (important for car work) and I can hand hold it in one hand if I really need to.

It's for exactly this reason that I shoot Ursa mini when I have three Alexa Mini's on set.

This is ready to shoot with a wooden camera cage and Dbox, preston, Bolt 3000 transmitter and TC clock fitted. If I really had to I could rip the top handle off to lower the hight and side mount the MDR.

JB

Brawley066672-R1-026-11A.jpg

I agree, and even Panasonic has realized this, and developed a new “Cine/Video” version of the GH5: the GH5S, which drops IBIS, in favor to a larger purposed built Video sensor, that keeps the AOV constant at different aspect ratios. ThrnGH5S does keep auto focus, which is improved over the GH5, with 10-bit 4.2.2 recording. Seems they are trying to get into the small B/C Cinema camera market, giving the Micro Cameras some competition.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    And 6 years later, most DSLRs still shoot 8bit compressed.
    Yep. Exactly.

Weirdly not much has changed has it ?

Canon have only *barely* started to do RAW on some of their cameras, but it's what...5 years later ? Digital Bolex were going to be the real indie camera...nope. Oh, wait, it's AJA who'll really show them how it's done...nope. GoPro..every NAB they would say, GoPro are going to use cineform and show them how it's done...nope. Kinefinity ? Nope. Meanwhile, RED finally got ProRes working..kind of...sometimes...

Things are better, but in reality, they aren't that much different. Sony and Canon et al still artificially restrict what their hardware can do.

When Grant first showed me the mock up of the camera that would be launched as the BMCC, he told me he wanted to give those that couldn't afford an Alexa type camera a better alternative to a 5Dmk2 because it only shot 8 bit 264 compressed garbage.

He wasn't trying to take on Arri or RED, just make something that 5DMK2 shooters would want to upgrade too, something that DLSR shooters would find better than 8 bit video in a better codec from a high dynamic range sensor. Originally they weren't even going to do any compression. It was RAW only.

That's why it sold for 3K and had an EF mount (which had just gone out of copyright). They weren't even planning the MFT mount, it just happened as a cheap way for us to get PL mount and other mounts adapted. Notice it was a dumb mount ?

They weren't even sure if people would buy it, seeing as they hadn't really planned to start up a camera division. It just kind of evolved.

When it launched, they beat even Arri at being the very first camera to do uncompressed RAW and ProRes (and dnx) all internally and for all 3 thousand bucks. In 2012. They didn't even realise themselves how much of a trailblazer they were. Having zero history of ever building cameras. And still, not really much can touch that today as it's gone EOL.

We all thought it would change the artificial restricting and protecting of segmentation of the "big" manufactures to give us more options on the codec and bit depth. But we've only got one camera doing 10 bit (kind of) and none are doing ProRes or RAW.

Blackmagic have never done this. Their cameras are always fully optioned for what the hardware can do and if anything, each camera does a different job, rather than having different specs based on a price point. That's how they think of product.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by hannes View Post
    Hopefully amazing updates for the UMP and Resolve.