Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Darren, the so,Union you want is at hand. I feel the same way, so I got the Micro a Cinema Camera, 108060p, S16 sensor, so my S16 lenses will work. The Micro also has a better video processor (hence 60p) and a faster sensor readout, less RS artifacts and better controlled moire’. The next BM Pocket style Camera is going to be at least a 4K Camera (per BM last year), no more HD cameras.
    Cheers.
    Yeah, but the Micro doesn’t exactly fit my wants either. I got a used Pocket as my B-cam versus the Micro just to save money. I want better ergonomics, a built-in LCD, greater than 1080 RAW (I’d be happy with 2K) and the Ursa Mini’s 4.x firmware/updated color science. If they did a build similar to the Ursa Mini body but even smaller form factor with a S16mm sensor I’d be estatic. I’d sell my UM4K and jump ship to that immediately, but that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    I want...greater than 1080 RAW (I’d be happy with 2K).
    Totally not trolling here but did you mean UHD (3840X2160)? Because you said 2K. (1920x1080) is 2K.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 01-29-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    Totally not trolling here but did you mean UHD (3840X2160)? Because you said 2K. (1920x1080) is 2K.
    2K is 2048◊1080. I was thinking about this recently actually, I'd love to have the 2.5K sensor in an Ursa Mini type form factor with at least 60 fps. That really doesn't sound like asking for much in 2018, but that would be pretty perfect for me.

Unfortunately, the world is obsessed with UHD and 4K and I can't imagine BMD would release anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RyLo View Post
    2K is 2048◊1080.
    just like 3840X2160 isn’t technically 4K. But I think you’re missing the point of me assuming Darren was not alluding to being unhappy with 1920X1080 but totally being happy with 2048X1080, and just misspoke about the “2K”.
    Since his quote is that he wants greater than 1080 RAW, and both standards have that for the vertical.

Just like DCI 4K and 16X9 4K(UHD) both have a standard size...2K also has two sizes, DCI 2K and HD 2K. So yes 1920X1080 is 2K just not DCI 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Cook View Post
    You're right, I mispoke, technically more like QHD (2560 x 1440) or even if they did their 2.5K again at 2432 x 1366.

So what is the compromise for Pocket/Micro version 2 to have 4k also bear in mind the recording media.

In 4k mode Proress only upto 60fps? Or with RAW no higher than 30fps?

Camera size and recording codec compression. You can record 4K at 50/60p to a SD UHS2 card if you compress the recording enough. The Panasonic EVA1and GH 5 (GH5S) are an example, both can record 4K to SD cards, but only using Pannyís V Log compression, or other more compressed formats, all of which are greater compression than ProRes film log. Currently, on existing SD cards, 4K ProRes HQ and above files can only go to 30fps, HD can do 50/60 FPS as shown in the Micro 4K Camera. Also, BM needs to find a 1-inch (S16) sensor that will give them the image quality they want to match what the current Pocket/Micro IQ and look is.

So with current tech, used by the GH5S and itís purpose built video sensor, you are going to wind up with a camera the size of GH5, or something between this and a Oly PenF. A PenF body size/style would work for me, larger than the current Pocket, but smaller than a DSLR shape camera like the GH5. At the other end of the spectrum, if Panasonic had put the GH5S sensor/processor in a body closer to a scaled down AF100 (like a smaller EVA1), with good pro audio (Mini XLRs and SDI outputs) at the sub $3K price, I would buy one today!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    So what is the compromise for Pocket/Micro version 2 to have 4k also bear in mind the recording media.

In 4k mode Proress only upto 60fps? Or with RAW no higher than 30fps?
    I'd find this "compromise" pretty ideal for a small form factor 4k BM camera.

Personally I'd be delighted with an all ProRes Micro 4k camera w/ BM color science and temporal qualities - both of which the GH5 simply doesn't compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post

Personally I'd be delighted with an all ProRes Micro 4k camera w/ BM color science and temporal qualities - both of which the GH5 simply doesn't compete with.
    After having use the GH5, and in agreement that is doesn't compete with the BM color science, I wonder if sending the GH5 output as 422 10 bit via HDMI to a BM 4K Video Assist recorder and recording in ProRes will have a much improve image quality. Doesn't the VA come with the ProRes and Avide codecs?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    At the other end of the spectrum, if Panasonic had put the GH5S sensor/processor in a body closer to a scaled down AF100 (like a smaller EVA1), with good pro audio (Mini XLRs and SDI outputs) at the sub $3K price, I would buy one today!
    Cheers
    You're far from the first one to mention that. There is still a lot of space between the price point of the GJ5S and the EVA1 for another product. If they can make that camera with IBIS for run-and-gunners, they could even get away with $3,500, I'm thinking. Swapable mounts to go from ENG lenses to m43 with locking mounts would be a great touch. Also built-in ND - preferably e-ND ala Sony FS5.