Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blackmagic needs to take back the sub-$3k market, so I'd bet on a new 4K camera this year. Maybe a 4k pocket is asking too much due to the heat in such a thin body, but a new micro or cinema camera is certainly plausible. Whatever it is it'll need more than 12 stops of dynamic range just to have a leg up on the competition.

Best thing they can do now is BMMCC Pro. Just put current s16 1080p sensor http://www.fairchildimaging.com/cata...scmos/cis1910a into small ergonomically designed modular body with better cooling system and better FPN reduction. All this probably allow 15-16 f-stops of dynamic range and up to 100fps (the maximum that the sensor can produce). Higher data transfer rate circuit will allow less rolling shutter. Put on sale in range $1- $2.5k depending of included accessories.
    M4/3 S16 eco system grows pretty fast over last years. OLPF filters, focal boosters, new native wide angle lenses... So why drop this market?

Bus who knows, maybe we'll see sCMOS v3.0 sensors soon...

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Best thing they can do now is BMMCC Pro. Just put current s16 1080p sensor http://www.fairchildimaging.com/cata...scmos/cis1910a into small ergonomically designed modular body with better cooling system and better FPN reduction. All this probably allow 15-16 f-stops of dynamic range and up to 100fps (the maximum that the sensor can produce). Higher data transfer rate circuit will allow less rolling shutter. Put on sale in range $1- $2.5k depending of included accessories.
    M4/3 S16 eco system grows pretty fast over last years. OLPF filters, focal boosters, new native wide angle lenses... So why drop this market?

Bus who knows, maybe we'll see sCMOS v3.0 sensors soon...
    I remember them saying that they would no longer be making a sub 4k product in the future, that the next camera would be at least 4k and they hope for a pocket like size but current tech isn't up to it apparently. Maybe that's a rouse to not get anyones hopes up though, they did say they would no longer preannounce a camera unless they can sell it that same day.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    That's true but it's designed that way because of the gimbal...but I guess it could make a difference. Still pretty small though.

Attachment 25575

(Cinema5D)
    The X5R wasn't a good camera. The sensor, or the way DJI set it up wasn't that great for drama. I really struggled to get it to match the Ursa at all, and it's DR was limited.

The thing you can't hear in that image is that those little slots on top of the SSD RAW recorder at the bottom of the gimbal are noisy fans. Very noisy. It wasn't useable to shoot a dialogue scene in a car for example.

Now the X7R might be different....maybe....But I was bitterly disappointed after the promise of the X5R fell very short of the mark in both image and utility.

JB

I would like to see a URSA 4.6K micro with EF mount that has the same form factor as the Canon XC15 4K Professional Camcorder and at about the same price point (less than $2500), supports RAW, Avid DnX.., and ProRes codec.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I would like to see a URSA 4.6K micro with EF mount that has the same form factor as the Canon XC15 4K Professional Camcorder and at about the same price point (less than $2500), supports RAW, Avid DnX.., and ProRes codec.
    Isn't the cooling system in the UM4.6k about the size of the entire Canon XC15 chassis (sans handle)?

Shawn

I'd love to see the 4.6 sensor in a small body (who wouldn't?), but I think our best chance of that is with the setup they have with the 4K Micro... has a fan, no monitor, only records externally. I think the days of the pocket all-in-one form factor are, sadly, over.

The Studio Version has 4K external recording. So I think it is possible to get 4k internal in a "BMMCC pro" version. Slightly bigger, or whatever. I really hope Blackmagic will produce both. An new "Ursa Mini Pro" but also the BMMCC line. BMMCC is a great upgradfe to the pocket. HDMI, Colling system, Breakout Box, raw 3:1 codec. 60fps. If they press the raw codec into 5:1 or 8:1 ... 4k is a thing. IMHO. But 4K and a bigger sensor in a small body is just a wish list. I am pretty happy with my BMMCC so far. 13 Stops dynamic range, small body for 1000 Bucks. I am still amazed that there is ONE Company who is doing it. On the other side you can buy GH5s for 2400 Bucks with terrible Dynamic Range. Sony, Canon, Panasonic ... when I look at the new EVA ... with the bad grip and all those silly buttons and terrible screen. wtf. Sorry. Going offtopic here. haha.

I'd really really love to get a glance at selling numbers and how profit looks from each camera BMD ever made.

I just can't imagine their bargain cameras BMPCC and BMMCC not being very popular and profitable. I wonder how much brand new Pockets and Micros they are still selling. Maybe there's just no urgency for an upgrade on their affordable line if they still make good numbers?

Would also love to see numbers of Mini Pro, just to compare the higher end to the lower end line.

On the other hand, I could imagine BMD building a certain camera just because they want to, not for pleasing markets.

The bmmcc is rated at 13 stops when shooting raw log and the gh5/GH5s is rated at 12 in vlog. Now I know raw will be 12bit and much more robust but if you can nail the exposure then they shouldn't be too far appart right?