Thread: BMPC4k Slow Motion

1. #1 BMPC4k Slow Motion 
    I have a BMPC4k and I recently started liking Slow motion. I like my BMPC4k but It can't shoot 60fps is there a way to slow down the footage about 50% of it's original speed without getting the strange artifacts or am I going to be forced to get a new camera preferably the URSA. Let me know your thoughts.

You can try Twixtor or various tools in your NLE like optical flow, etc.

They all are algorithms/processes that attempt to smooth out your footage as best as possible, but at the end of the day it will depend on your scene. High contrast, moving objects crossing each other, water, etc...these situations will be impossible to slow-down without artifacts appearing.

Any Recommended plugins that can provide the best results?

I used Twixtor years ago when high-quality high-speed hardware was out of reach (prices), but eventually bought a big URSA and other cameras at the later time as HFRs (definitely HD ones) became pretty standard in most cameras.

Not sure how Twixtor is looking these days.

The 1080/60p request for the BMCC/BMPCC/BMPC was extremely common back-in-the-day (like a new post asking for it once a day, ha), but unfortunately they just never got it in there.

Twixtor is situational. If you have a solid color or very simple background you can get good results with it. But if you have a complex background and you pour water into a glass and slow it down, Twixtor will get confused and begin warping the glass. With a solid background and footage that is a min of 1080 @ 60FPS (that is what Twixtor requires) you can get some pretty amazing results with it.

SLO-mo needs are different for every situation. I've seen some decent slo-mo with 30p to 24p and a minor bump of the 30p. Try slowing down the 30p by 20-25% exporting and bringing into 24p timeline. Also if you have actors have them move slightly slower.

As for Twixtor and Optical Flow:

The less movement across the frame you have (either up and down or side to side, the better it will look.
    Meaning - if your subject was moving quickly then the results will not be as good. Or if you were panning quickly it's basically the same thing.

You don't need to have the subject move extra slow - although that might be cool - but if they were just moving normally but not quickly, and as stated above, without subjects or objects crossing each other in the frame, then it can look pretty darn good.

On some subject matter Twixtor and Optical Flow look the same.
    On some subject matter I have had Twixtor look better.

TIP: If you know you are going to use Twixtor on a scene - shoot it at a faster shutter speed - this creates more defined edges (less motion blur) and that helps Twixtor create better 'in-between' frames. No shutter speed is too fast as long as you have enough light for good exposure. The faster your shutter speed the better the results.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine