Thread: Grant Petty is a Rock Star

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm sorry Dane. My apologies to messing with your day.
    RAWlover, I recently rented and shot with the C200 for a project and liking the CRL codec. It's really workable in Resolve, although I hope that the RAW tab will have support for it someday soon. I'm actually looking at it and the Panasonic EVA1 as I am seriously considering my next cam. I'm still using the URSA 4K and the BMPCC for what they are worth, and yes the BMPCC, BMMCC, BMCC, BMPC, and the URSA 4K Big and URSA 4K Mini are legendary. The new 4.6K ones are not interesting with sensor issues still going on to date.

Neither I, not Grant Petty, were really talking just about BMD cameras.
    As for cameras - Well, we have always all been completely free to go buy RED or other cameras that cost at least twice as much.
    As Grant talks about in the video - Cameras are only just one part of BMD's business, and not what the company was built upon.
    He also talked very openly about those problems, how they arise, and what they've learned from them.

BMD has an installed base of millions of products. Their cameras are only a very small part of that. They could totally dump their entire camera line tomorrow and it would probably not affect their business at all.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 12-26-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I'm looking forward to what's coming next. If they're as good a company as I think they are and want to be, then the next gen cameras will be really interesting and, I bet, the result of a lot of learnintg that comes with pioneering.

^Definitely...

BM has a lot going on and they are making people happy with their different products, but as far as cameras are concerned...I think we're way overdue.

I think their last good camera was the 4K URSA (not Mini) and that was 2014.

We need a new BMCC, new pocket, new 8K camera, new design; whatever. Just new cameras all across the board IMO.

I want to feel that spark for BM again like I did in 2013/2014!

Senior Member daydreamersproductions's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpstewart View Post
    ... At least to me he is.

I come from the world of creative people of all types, and grant's philosophy, in his own words here, could not be more admirable.
    I know so many great creative people who can do more now than they ever could before because of grant and bmd.

Few people can have a really positive effect on many people's lives. It's not an easy thing to do.

Cheers grant petty and bmd, you're part of the good guys.

https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-w...e-tv-industry/
    https://www.cinema5d.com/interview-w...e-tv-industry/
    you damn skippy!!!!!!
    Go to my site to see my current Production and Post Production Gear
    http://www.daydreamersproductions.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post

I think their last good camera was the 4K URSA (not Mini) and that was 2014.

We need a new BMCC, new pocket, new 8K camera, new design; whatever. Just new cameras all across the board IMO.
    I agree.

I don't agree that the Big Ursa 4k was BMD good camera. It is a crew camera and the only thing going for it was the potential of a turret upgrade. As it stand it looks like a Frankenstein camera with a sensor that just don't cut it with current cameras or even cameras several years old.

I really wanted to like the Ursa more, but it wasn't a successful camera in terms of sales or acceptance from the professional market.

People claimed it was too heavy (even though it was lighter than an Alexa)

People laughed at the giant screen.

Personally, I was never a fan of the 4K sensor they were using in it and that stopped me from making more use of it.

Grant isn't motivated by making products for that professional market and I think that's why it wasn't successful.

He really wants to change it so that cost is not the barrier to creativity.

I can choose to use almost any camera I want to and I'm lucky that I have that privilege. But I'm not the target Backmagic customer. It's those that wouldn't be able to do something simply because they don't have access to something like an Alexa or RED.

RED in the beginning made a similar promise, and in some ways they did deliver. But their scaling upgrades and accessories still make a camera system that costs a bit more than just affordable.

When he first showed me the mockup of the BMCC he told me he wanted to give people something better than shitty 8 BIT 264 DSLR cameras to make films with. He wanted people to have a better choice than a 5D MK2 for about the same price. I think he did that.

Before they launched it, they weren't even sure if it would sell at all.

Blackmagic were the first to do on uncompressed on-board RAW recording at any price point. I don't even think they meant to do it, it's just what they ended up as their ideal design for what they wanted to do. Grant hates compression. Even today, what their very first camera can do is still hard to beat as a value proposition. ProRes, DNx too don't forget. All built in.

Blackmagic have narrowed the gap between the haves and the have nots. That's their MO.

I'm happy to have them as one of the many cameras at my disposal. The Ursa 4.6K mini is still the one for me. I use it daily and have done for the last two years pretty much. It's never failed me, and I always get directors and producers asking to use it more and more by the end of each episode because I can do shots with it that I can't do with any other camera I have. That's the gift to me. To have another tool in the tool box, that is perfect at what it does and can do.

JB

Nobody ever made waves maintaining the status quo, even if I don't like everything that BM does, I love seeing what they'll do. For good or ill they are by far the most dynamic company in the industry.

Grant's interviews are always fun to watch. And speaking about their cameras. My first "cinema" camera was the Blackmagic Cinema camera 2.5k. To me, this was the breakout that shook the 'prosumer' camera industry. $3k for 2.5k RAW and 10-bit ProRes, 13 stop dynamic range? In a time of DSLRs, this thing really brought RAW and high dynamic range (for video) to the masses.

They have obviously learned a lot since then, and each camera release gets better and better, but at the same time, for more and more money. The 4.6k/Pro is just a little bit too much money to take over for my "personal" camera. I really hope they can square away the QC issues too, as I don't trust pre-ordering a new camera from them anymore (magenta sensor issue, being the biggest).