Thread: sensor Shim ursa mini pro

1. #1 sensor Shim ursa mini pro 
    Hello,

I saw some images on the internet that were shot with the same lens I have a leica r 35mm. And the shots were in focus really close to the lens. So they were able to focus more closely then I can seem to be focussing. Could this be related to shimming the sensor to another place or something? If I can improve my close focussint that would majorly help me out.

Thanks!

If you want to use your lens as a macro, grab some extension tubes. You mount them between the camera and lens.

This will increase the focal flange distance, and shorten the minimum focal distance. However, you won't be able reach infinity focus, so it's not a permanent solution. You will also have some light loss depending on the length of the extension tube. But a fantastic way to get macro effects with a standard non-macro lens.

Yeah I know, but there is a quality loss. There are also diopters that you can screw on your lens that give similar effect. But I am just wondering about the Sensor Shim on the ursa mini pro. Does it affect the abillity to focus? Or what are the benefits of shimming the sensor on the ump?

Macro quality with lenses from 35mm and up is normally better with extension tubes than with diopters. Of course, a lens constructed for macro ist still better.

Shimming will allow you to reach infinity focus and/or to match the marks on the lens.

There's a great article over at Cambridge in Color discussing the pros and cons of diopters vs. extension tubes for various focal lengths. Lens shims are far too thin to make any meaningful impact in a macro sense, all they are going to do is mess up your footage if your lens/camera is shimmed incorrectly.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...es-closeup.htm