Thread: Defecting to Windows - Looking to start afresh with Resolve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah, I certainly see what you're saying. I've come across one that I think is a fairly good deal for $800. 2.6-GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Drive (not too shabby), Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M 4GB VRAM. It's one of the early HP Omens with the programmable buttons down the left hand side which I think could potentially come in handy. However, I've read things not working too smoothly for that on Windows 10 (which this machine has already on it - I've sent a message to the seller asking about it) but I was wondering what the OS requirement for Resolve 14 was. Does it need 10 or can it run on 8?

Well if that's all you can budget for and you are convince that it will do what you need it to do, then there is no convincing here that will change your mind. I've been using Resolve since release 9 and although release 14.2 is much more efficient and forgiving with GPU and CPU benchmarks, it will only do so much for you before you seat in front of your project and watching the playback to be dropping frames, crashing, to a point of frustration. Believe me I've been there. Anyway, someone told me before not to be penny wise and pound foolish. I'd save up the money and get a really decent machine that will work frustration free on "your" project, Windows or Mac becomes irrelevant.

Well, the problem I'm having is that all I can find is a bunch of different people saying that I need this or that with not a great deal of explanation. And it changed person to person. One says it needs 16GB RAM max and another says 8 is fine etc etc. I don't like the idea of forking out money just because I'm told to. I don't fully understand what each bit of hardware does in Resolve. I thought the one I posted above was pretty well spec'ed. It has all the features I was told to look for and I managed to find it within my budget. New they were around $3000 out here in 2015. Most used ones are still ~$1500. I'm more than willing to be convinced otherwise but I need to understand why and, I suppose, why my choices aren't going to work when I thought I was doing well. At the start of the thread, I was looking at 8GB RAM models with 2GB of VRAM and that's since doubled due to advice.

Also, Merry Christmas everybody!

Well, the range of advice you get is normal. It depends very much on the kind of footage used.
    Those with RAW footage or image sequences need massive storage throughput. If it's compressed, the CPU should be powerful.
    For HDTV you'll get along with 2GB VRAM if you don't need temporal effects. Otherwise 4 are better (and bare minimum for 4K).
    If most of your stuff is H.264, you should have a recent CPU or NVIDIA card with hardware decoding.
    8 GB RAM is OK for short projects, if they get longer, get at least 16.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Well, the range of advice you get is normal. It depends very much on the kind of footage used.
    Those with RAW footage or image sequences need massive storage throughput. If it's compressed, the CPU should be powerful.
    For HDTV you'll get along with 2GB VRAM if you don't need temporal effects. Otherwise 4 are better (and bare minimum for 4K).
    If most of your stuff is H.264, you should have a recent CPU or NVIDIA card with hardware decoding.
    8 GB RAM is OK for short projects, if they get longer, get at least 16.
    Hope this helps.
    Yes, you're right. Reading my post now, I sound a bit short for which I apologise. It does get a little confusing. It really sounds like my latest option ticks the boxes. I can say with certainty that I'm not going to be doing 4K any time soon. And if I get to the point where I can afford (and want to get) a 4K camera, I can probably afford a computer upgrade.

Okay, so I now understand what type of project you're getting started with. If you can find something like this with the performance base unit this laptops are excellent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-S...YAAOSwB4BaPYw5

The one here is OK for short projects and 3:1 RAW or Prores. Maybe find the same one with the performance base and for a little more $$ with 512 SSD and 16GB RAM and you should be fine with medium size projects and RAW up to HD again. Install Resolve 14.2 and don't bother with anything older. Remember you'll have challenges with anything more than 1080p, or using effects and NR but otherwise, you will be able to edit, colorize, use 3DLUTs, and have a decent playback and delivery.
    Last edited by EYu; 12-25-2017 at 01:54 AM.