Thread: GH5s

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Seriously. Having Pro res raw licensing would help keep the Gh5s in my kit. Otherwise the 4K pocket is going to be my gimbal B/C camera once it ships.

GH5 and s have a pretty significant edge on battery life. Continuous auto focus, although not as great as canon and along with a flip out screen it's not so black and white for me.

Pocket wins in multiple categories. Price, codecs, dynamic range, bit depth and most likely on board audio.

GH5s. Battery life, OLPF ( not sure if the bmpcc4k has one) and flip screen.

For me I guess it's gonna come down to if BMD can pull out that magic image. I prefer the form factor of the panasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Seriously. Having Pro res raw licensing would help keep the Gh5s in my kit. Otherwise the 4K pocket is going to be my gimbal B/C camera once it ships.
    To get ProRes Raw to an external recorder, the Camera must be able to output a Raw uncompressed Video signal, which has not been Donetsk, via HDMI. Currently, you need a SDI connection like the EVA1 uses, so until Panny puts a SDI connector on the GH5/S, or someone figures out how to stream a “Raw” signal via HDMI, no ProRes Raw externally. Not sure if the camera can record this internally on SD cards either. BM uses CFast cards for a Raw DNG.

Edit March 2019: Nikon and Atomos have teamed up to stream a Raw signal via HDMI to record it as ProRes Raw. So sending a Raw video signal via HDMI, on the Nikon Z6, is now possible, will Panasonic be next?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 03-21-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Anyone know if the GH5s has the same lag over HDMI the gh5 has?

The amount of latency is going to depend on the monitor/recorder...some for whatever reason are much worse than others.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The amount of latency is going to depend on the monitor/recorder...some for whatever reason are much worse than others.
    There are a heap of reports that the GH5 has latency itself on its HDMI and that adds to the latency if the monitor making for a noticible difference. The pocket 4k doesn't have such an issue so I was wondering if the GH5s also shared this latency.

Yea, for sure...I mean you saw the lag early in their training videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XP7mrwXaSA

In general, the monitor can play a part just like the camera (usually cheap ones).

Someone on this page in this thread said he hasn't experienced any HDMI lag with his SmallHD FOCUS and GH5:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic...ds-on/?page=17

I used the GH5s with an Inferno for 3 weeks and I don't remember any lag being too noticeable, but now I don't know if I even bothered to look at the little monitor much (the camera in the test above is a GH5).