Thread: GH5s

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The thing to remember is we are all shooting RAW. RAW comes out of every sensor, and if you are using a camera that records 10 or 8 bit codecs bad things may and usually do happen on the way to the card. Given the choice I'd rather shoot RAW 4:1 than any flavor ProRes. Same with stills. The RAW panel in Photoshop is a place of magic and wonder. I understand a documentary project that will shoot hours of unused footage choosing a more compact format, but storage is pretty cheap these days.

A bit offtopic but I feel more and more convinced that my next camera will be an EVA1. For the kind of work we've been doing and the kind of work we want to do start doing next, it seems to tick all the boxes. Plus the image looks great. I jumped from the AF100 to a 5D MkIII and recently an A7SII, for me the upgrades have all worked and were justified. I can see myself using a S35 sensor and keeping the A7SII for low light situations or when I need the extra angle of view, but just that, but I don't think I will like to use the 4/3 sensor size again, so no GH5 for me. Also, the dslr form factor is getting annoying to work with. The main EVA1 drawback for me is the EF mount, but I think there might be a good PL to EF adapter that works well with it. If so, we might get the Sony Cinealta lens kit or the Schneider FF kit to use with the A7SII as well. The URSA Mini pro is also an option to consider but it's bigger than what I would want and has no stabilizer on the sensor, but if image quality and recording formats were the only feature to consider, I would have bought 2 already.

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelFranco View Post
    A bit offtopic but I feel more and more convinced that my next camera will be an EVA1. For the kind of work we've been doing and the kind of work we want to do start doing next, it seems to tick all the boxes. Plus the image looks great. I jumped from the AF100 to a 5D MkIII and recently an A7SII, for me the upgrades have all worked and were justified. I can see myself using a S35 sensor and keeping the A7SII for low light situations or when I need the extra angle of view, but just that, but I don't think I will like to use the 4/3 sensor size again, so no GH5 for me. Also, the dslr form factor is getting annoying to work with. The main EVA1 drawback for me is the EF mount, but I think there might be a good PL to EF adapter that works well with it. If so, we might get the Sony Cinealta lens kit or the Schneider FF kit to use with the A7SII as well. The URSA Mini pro is also an option to consider but it's bigger than what I would want and has no stabilizer on the sensor, but if image quality and recording formats were the only feature to consider, I would have bought 2 already.
    Don't know if it helps but I've heard that the EIS on the EVA is pretty trash/ warpy.

As for the Gh5s it's pretty interesting. I'd have to look at the actual IQ and dynamic range once more people get a hold of it and test it. No ibis is a let down because as a person commented on reddit put it very well, The S is in a odd spot. Stills people wont want it for the 10mp sensor, videographers wont want it for the lack of ibis and cinematographers wont want it for the lacking dynamic range.

But of course it remains to be seen about the dynamic range, I haven't heard much. Plus having excellent low light is an amazing opportunity to save money on high powered lights and work with an overall lighter lighting kit, which is super compelling.

The GH5S is no free lunch when you consider the cost 2200 and if you want to turn it to into a professional setup you could be spending another 1350 for an Shogun Inferno for 10 bit 60fps recording and 650 on a Metabones SB totalling 4200 which can buy you an Ursa Mini 4.6k or even UMP that some dealer is offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    The GH5S is no free lunch when you consider the cost 2200 and if you want to turn it to into a professional setup you could be spending another 1350 for an Shogun Inferno for 10 bit 60fps recording and 650 on a Metabones SB totalling 4200 which can buy you an Ursa Mini 4.6k or even UMP that some dealer is offering.
    But you can say the same thing for the ursa, shoulder mounts, cfast cards, potentially a monitor. But of course you don't have to, just like the GH5s. Depends on what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    But you can say the same thing for the ursa, shoulder mounts, cfast cards, potentially a monitor. But of course you don't have to, just like the GH5s. Depends on what you need.
    So with the GH5S you don't need a shoulder mount, SD card, potentially a monitor?
    What I'm really saying is with additional costs to get the GH5S theoretically to a professional level you might be able to buy a UMP instead.

The GH5S is $2500. The UMP is $6000.

There is no financial comparison in anyway you look at it unless you're intentionally trying to out-price the UMP with more accessories for the Panasonic while buying nothing for the Blackmagic.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The GH5S is $2500. The UMP is $6000.

There is no financial comparison in anyway you look at it unless you're intentionally trying to out-price the UMP with more accessories for the Panasonic while buying nothing for the Blackmagic.
    My point exactly thank you. Not to mention you'd then have a great monitor, some lenses and accessories along with the GH5s body. But only the body of an ursa mini pro.

There's no doubt the ursa is a better cinema camera but it's way more expensive. Heavier body needs a more expensive tripod, gimbal and speaking generally cinema camera accessories are usually overpriced or priced to their high quality in some cases.

For what the GH5 and S is I think it will make a great starting point for cinema where the pocket is quickly falling behind in terms of frame rates, usability, etc. But I know I won't be putting down the micro for quite sometime but the gh5 and S are really cutting edge here.

Low light sensitive means you can even save on lighting, lower powered cheaper lights.