Thread: GH5s

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post

The GH5 is not a great example as it's a camera that an absolute ton of people will buy and not everyone is so cinematic-ly inclined so you're gonna get a lot of work you might not like. Generally people who purchase black magic cameras are in some way involved in a film education or career.
    I would disagree, at least with the pocket and 2.5K. Both had a ton of users who were way out of their element with log footage and thus a high quantity of stuff out there is some of the most horrendous footage I've seen. Did a terrible disservice to the pocket.

The Panasonic mirrorless' have to be the worst in this category...for every 1 pleasing 'cinematic' video you may see, there are 100 that do not look good.

And I'm reasonable...I don't count any HFR videos or ones with super high ISOs (even with the GH5S), I consider the environment, the content (etc), but it is really easy to make these cameras look like consumer video cameras, and you truly have to apply yourself a bit because of how unforgiving the results can be.

Whereas you can even shoot in 'video' DR with the URSA Minis, and get a pretty nice filmic image ready to go.

Even though I am trying to sell an URSA Mini so this next comment won't mean much...but it really is amazing the image that camera is able to provide for the price. Same with the BMPC/BMCC and even the Pocket (although I never loved that one as much as the others).

If I can get my hands on a gh5s when I'm done with my feature I'd love to give the GH5s a try next to my bmcc. Just to see what it is that makes me love the bmcc so much:-) The specs of the gh5s are the most impressive in a mirrorless body that I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    NO.
    It's not even close. But look at the price difference - about $16 thousand dollars.
    And no, it's not ever going to be accepted as a "Netflix approved" camera.
    Lol..I always think it's funny if people ask if it's a netflix approved camera. Nerflix will take any film as long as it's good or has a audience. It only needs to be netflix approved when Netflix asks you to make a Netflix original. By the time they will ask you..there is enough budget to pick any camera and you then can use your own gh5s for the behind the scenes shots:-)

Rumor mill has it that Panasonic will be releasing a Prores RAW codec for the GH5s. Like the V-Log profile, it is a paid option that probably is part Apple license plus some revenue. Might be at about the $100 price.

EDIT: Correction made. Yes, V-Log is a profile not a codec.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Hard to believe that. They already have a solid 10bit codec. Also, not to be picky, v-log is not a codec. It's a log profile.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Rumor mill has it that Panasonic will be releasing a Prores RAW codec for the GH5s. Like the V-Log codec, it is a paid option that probably is part Apple license plus some revenue. Might be at about the $100 price.
    The GH5s comes with Vlog; it's not a paid option like on the GH5.

Interesting, while the gh5s obviously costs a lot more than the pocket, it does bring some more depending on the application. Continuous auto focus, 3 hour battery, flip screen.

ProRes raw would go a long way to keep it competitive, hope the price drops.

I was going to get a GH5s but the 4k Pocket just blew that all the way out of the water.

No way can the GH5s image quality compete. Certainly not against Blackmagic RAW.

And I can get TWO 4k Pockets for the price of ONE GH5s.

Buh-Bye gh5.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Buhh bye! It was a small but good run for the gh5/s