Thread: GH5s

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 GH5s 
    Not so long after the GH5 comes the GH5s. Expecting to be announced January 8th. At $2500 usd

So far only a rumored 'leaked' spec list - https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-longg-gh5s-specs-list/

notably being capable of 4k 60p long GoP in a dslr body.

With a rumored Sony Starvis sensor capable of some pretty crazy HDR. - https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-i...hows-gh5-body/

Really everyone can only speculate until it's official announcement and even then specs are only one thing, the actual IQ is a whole other.

My opinion is that for low budget documentary especially this could be quite the exciting camera. My hesitation comes with the lack of a mentioned 5 axis stabilization which personally is my biggest selling point of the GH5, not needing extra gear to get a nice shot is great for anyone on the move or in an area where having extra gear is suspect or would hinder the process. It's pretty much being compact and 5 axis stabilization that the camera has over any cinema camera. Assuming that it's not listed simply because it's an implied feature being the GH5 video version my next gripe with any camera good for documentary would be the lack of inbody ND's, which is a giant ask for a small dslr body but one day it just may happen. Other wise the GH5s seems to have a lot going for it, cheap price, MFT adaptable mount, long battery life on small batteries, 4k 10 bit in both 30 and 60p, low light sensor.

The one thing that put off a lot of the user base for the GH5 was the unreliable auto focus and I must admit I'd love to have a canon DPAF just for that reassurance if I was to ever use it on a gimbal or in a sticky situation it'd work. Otherwise there's always a wireless follow focus but then you need more money, an operator etc.

In the end I'm waiting, it's always best to wait it out. Let the camera come out, let others test it's dynamic range, it's log, it's auto focus, it's bugs etc and then go from there. I do have high hopes though for this camera as an A cam for lower budgets, docos and a B cam to the varicam line if they get the vlog and IQ right.

What do you guys think? It's such a different camera that BMD doesn't have anything like it. Cameras are advancing so quickly and while it's no RAW shooter it could be a great camera.

$2,500 is a lot of money for a MFT mount Panasonic DSLR type camera if you ask me.
    I have been through Panasonics before, and as a Blackmagic user i have a VERY hard time getting excited about them.

Pretty much ALL the cameras out there that don't shoot RAW are all just fine. Not that "fine" is a glowing review in any sense of the word.

I have always maintained that if a compressed codec DSLR-type is fine for someone, then why would they buy a Blackmagic camera? They are 'fundamentally' different tools for fundamentally different purposes.

However - it is TRUE that in just a couple more years there will be virtually zero significant differences in digital cameras. Just like there are no longer any significant differences in digital audio recorders. They're all completely adequate compared to what came before.

Sony is also releasing the A7R III. That should be a significant market entry as well. And there's the Fuji 4k cameras, and the Leicas.

But my final note on it all is this: At $2,500 - $3,995.... that's pretty darn close to an URSA Mini in the overall cast of one's production equipment.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Camera size of GH5 allows you to film in locations other cameras it would be impossible to get away with. Having internal codec at 10 bit to two cards is a great feature for any documentary work. A lot of narrative TV is done in ProRes, RAW is simply impractical in a lot of situations. I wish BM would do a small 4K camera just with ProRes to two cards and a single XLR port.

That would be my ideal camera. pocket camera with 4k and xlr inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
    Camera size of GH5 allows you to film in locations other cameras it would be impossible to get away with. Having internal codec at 10 bit to two cards is a great feature for any documentary work. A lot of narrative TV is done in ProRes, RAW is simply impractical in a lot of situations. I wish BM would do a small 4K camera just with ProRes to two cards and a single XLR port.
    I think it would be easier for Panasonic to simply add ProRes than it would be for BMD to produce yet another camera.
    But so far NONE of the DSLR-type camera makers have opted to put ProRes encoding on any of their cameras. (Not that I am aware of anyway.)
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I think it would be easier for Panasonic to simply add ProRes than it would be for BMD to produce yet another camera.
    But so far NONE of the DSLR-type camera makers have opted to put ProRes encoding on any of their cameras. (Not that I am aware of anyway.)
    Yeah the GH5 line and panasonic are just such a power company being able to buy sensors from sony and still keep the package small and affordable 2k and 2.5k is really a great price for the specs however nothing has really been released or shown of the video related specs to the GH5s.

I feel for BM to be able to make something comparable lots would have to be cut down of the ursa. smaller cooling system, lower quality screen and on top of that I think BM's mark is having raw capable cameras which at 4k pretty much requires Cfast not to mention it would most likely come out bigger than the GH5 in terms of the cameras physical size. It'd just be nice if panasonic gave a full vlog so that matching something like the ursa would be that much easier (though I'm not sure that it's hard now, i don't own either) but I imagine the big difference in dynamic range is also a hamper there.

Here's hoping the GH5s brings a bit more dynamic range, it's a great tool in the right situation and it'd be great to have something with IBIS and all encompassing to have that might mix well with a bigger camera like the ursa.

I hope someone leaks some video from it.

Maybe higher resolutions have completely taken over my brain, but there are lots of great images out there from the GH5. When I look back now at some BMPCC clips, the footage looks like it's from the 1980s, lol.

The GH5 looks to have an improved color science...if the 's' can also have higher/cleaner ISOs plus all of the other goodies like the 5-axis IS you mention, better AF, better DR, etc. it will be a home run for sure.

I still like RAW but after a while it becomes kind of a gimmick...and I'd rather have a nice compact camera with a bunch of new technology.

In my position at the moment I could not imagine being able to keep all footage shot in 4k raw, there's just no way I could. That's my main concern with raw, that I worry about file sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Maybe higher resolutions have completely taken over my brain, but there are lots of great images out there from the GH5. When I look back now at some BMPCC clips, the footage looks like it's from the 1980s, lol.

You're high

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I still like RAW but after a while it becomes kind of a gimmick...and I'd rather have a nice compact camera with a bunch of new technology.

Agreed

RAW is like Religion.
    There are the faithful, and there are those who have fallen from the path of light and decency
    I am among the later, and have been philandering about with 10 and 8(!) bit types
    Last edited by Sage; 12-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.