Thread: GH5s

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Sounds like he is joking with the "stop" thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmtOkO6ajc
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Yes, I kinda of got that feeling also.
    Cheers

Well, the GH5S is shipping, anyone get one yet? What most users are not realizing, is the 5S sensor is wider than the normal 17.3mm MFT sensor used in the GH5, the GH5S sensor is closer to 19.3mm to maintain the 22mm diagonal of the multi-aspect ratio sensor, as was the GH2. So the AOV in 16:9 is a lot wider than in the GH4 or GH5 is.
    This is how the AOV, based on the diagonal, remains constant at different aspect ratios, except 1:1 of course.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 02-23-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Well, the GH5S is shipping, anyone get one yet?
    Cheers
    I'd love to hear as well. Very temped to trade in the mini pro as my bcam and pick up a gh5s to live on the movi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_YQgBgtL8

Extremely impressive! my lord being able to travel with tiny battery powered lights is invaluable. Having a small to no crew this is a big boon to consider while being able to put the money saved from lights towards other equipment.

Shoot for 2500 iso and take smaller lights sounds great to me. Correction, apparently the native iso's are 800 and 5000 in vlog. Which is even god damn better. I'm really blow away by the steps panasonic have made but I'm also cautious and will wait to see if there's any bugs to be fixed before I purchase.

I love the GH#s and what Panasonic has been doing with them for the last 8 years or so, but the irony of this GH5S low-light camera is that there are a few Canon and Nikon DSLRs that can easily shoot super clean 4K video at 5000+ (of course the Sony mirrorless' too).

So 2500 is cool although nothing crazy...but many of us who use BM cameras will take anything we can get after having 400 and 800 native ISOs, lol.

And It is a MFT mount too, for us Micro/Pocket users!
    Ryanite, you and me both.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I love the GH#s and what Panasonic has been doing with them for the last 8 years or so, but the irony of this GH5S low-light camera is that there are a few Canon and Nikon DSLRs that can easily shoot super clean 4K video at 5000+ (of course the Sony mirrorless' too).

So 2500 is cool although nothing crazy...but many of us who use BM cameras will take anything we can get after having 400 and 800 native ISOs, lol.
    What they can't do is 10 bit 4k DCI at 400mbps in V-log while providing a waveform, peaking and providing 12 stops of dynamic range at 5000 iso (in v-log) because of it's dual native iso while also running for 3 hours on a single 1800 mh battery while having unlimited record time and zero over heating issues.

It blows every other dslr bar canons 1DX out of the water and while the sony A7siii may be on the way and very well is expected to have better low light sony's 8bit and dead skintones will kill it. It will mostly likely be amazing for it's DR though. Sony have good DR but a multitude of issues from such a small body.

Too right Denny! While I love my micro, I like to leave it built up for short films, having all of it and losing RAW but gaining 4k 400mbps dci isn't too bad when I can easily hold it all in my hands, take it on a train without drawing any attention etc.

As mentioned in a diff thread here, I still love the formfactor of my BMCC. I don't need 4k, but just higher framerates above 30fps.. 120fps would be ideal. Things I love about the bmcc are: internal battery, native 800 iso mft sensor (perfect low light with speedbooster), thin formfactor for use on gimbal, internal codecs ProRes and raw, able to export in 2k cinema scope..well..don't have to tell you guys what a nice camera it is. But, since it looks like BM is focussing more and more on broadcast it doesn't look like they will be releasing a bmcc version 2 anytime soon:-)
    Kinefinity has a nice camera with the Terra 4k, but is still too expensive for my indy use. (2000 to 2500 euro budget for a body). Canon C200 would be my dream upgrade but the price is way more than my tiny budget. So this Panasonic GH5s looks nice. I will miss the raw workflow, but after looking at this video I'm sure I can get the footage to look as "cinematic" as my bmcc. (the banding in the sky is probably youtube compression) What do you guys think in terms of image quality. Yes, the GH5s has a lot more resolution with the 4k sensor.. but does it look "cinematic"? And I know the term cinematic is up for debate.. but I guess you know what I mean right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    What they can't do is 10 bit 4k DCI at 400mbps in V-log while providing a waveform, peaking and providing 12 stops of dynamic range at 5000 iso (in v-log) because of it's dual native iso while also running for 3 hours on a single 1800 mh battery while having unlimited record time and zero over heating issues.

It blows every other dslr bar canons 1DX out of the water and while the sony A7siii may be on the way and very well is expected to have better low light sony's 8bit and dead skintones will kill it. It will mostly likely be amazing for it's DR though. Sony have good DR but a multitude of issues from such a small body.

Too right Denny! While I love my micro, I like to leave it built up for short films, having all of it and losing RAW but gaining 4k 400mbps dci isn't too bad when I can easily hold it all in my hands, take it on a train without drawing any attention etc.
    Be very cautious about judging a camera by its specs.

The Canon DSLRs have dominated DSLR video because the image simply looks better more of the time. And it has nothing to do with number of pixels or Ks.
    Never forget that iPhones have been shooting 4K for years now... do ANY of us suggest that they look better than a Pocket Cinema Camera? No, of course not. Not by a million miles.

Here's a camera with crazy low light performance and a million features and 4k....but the final image looks like poop. Still want it? I didn't think so.

Does the Sony A7s outperform all the others in low light sensitivity? YES! Does the image look like crap even though it has little noise? YES!

Bottom line is this newer GH5 has some nice points. ALL OF THIS YEAR'S CAMERAS DO. Does that mean its image output in the end is better? Maybe yes, maybe no.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine