Thread: Using old contax Zeiss lenses modified to EF on a EF - MFT speed booster?

1. #1 Using old contax Zeiss lenses modified to EF on a EF - MFT speed booster? 
    Now I've found conversations about using them in general. Mainly from that reduser thread. I've also found people talking about using them with a CY speedbooster on a bmpcc. I could only find one thread about someone doing this but it was quickly shutdown as at the time of the post an ef-mft booster didn't even exist apparently.

So is this a stupid idea? I like the look of the zeiss glass and I know theres always an issue with buying old lenses that they could be out and need calibration/ repairs and I'd probably be best off just getting a sigma 18-35 or something but I like the idea of owning 3 nice prime zeiss lenses even if they are older. My concern here is the issue that might arise from having a EF speedbooster and changing the CY mount to EF. The EF speed booster cost me quite the bit and I'd rather stick to a single mounting type as much as possible, just to make things easier. (especially since I like it bolted to the cage)

Also any advice on how well the contax zeiss lenses go on the BMMCC with a speed boosted image? Also I'm looking for decent sharpness to sort of counter the softening effect of the mosaic v2 OLPF. If you were to pick up 3, keeping in mind they'd be speed boosted which 3 would it be? Also what would be a fair price to pay? I know at one point they would've been dirt cheap and that they can actually get kind of pricey, I just don't want to be ripped off.

Thanks for any advice!

- Also if anyone is looking for the place to get the CY to EF mod it's here http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-l...n-cameras.html

Hi Ryanite,
    have a look at this post (and also the comments below), maybe there are some mechanical issues:
    http://www.danmccomb.com/modify-cont...-speedbooster/

regards Wolfgang

Don't kid yourself, nothing with the Zeiss name has or will ever be dirt cheap. They've actually come down in price since the heyday of the 5DII.

The question you need to ask is what stop? The f2.8s are much cheaper than the f1.4 counterparts and have a wider range of focal lengths to choose from. With a SB I'd probably go for the f2.8s, the f1.4s tend to have a good amount of CA and softnesss wide open which mitigates the advantage of having a fast lens to begin with.

I'd probably go 25, 50, 85. A little lean at the wide end but that's what's going to happen when trying to adapt full frame to S16.

There are a lot of Japanese sellers on eBay that have pristine glass at very fair prices.

Personally I'd abandon the cult of Speedbooster and open your arms to the church of S16.

Finally here is a link that details the Leitax procedure along with some cautionary advice.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the link Wolfgang, lots of good info there, I'd hate to ruin a speed booster.

Thanks for the advice Howie. I don't seem to see the link you mention though. Also my concern with 3x crop s16 is obviously the crop, difficult on the wide end and less light and as I don't really have a nice set of any lenses yet I assumed s35 would be a better investment BUT I do like the idea of being completely native. What kind of s16 lenses do you enjoy and how do you get around shooting in non ideal locations as everything im doing atm is with friends and simply free or our locations.

Thanks again.

My bad, here's the link.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=leitax

I went from the CY Zeiss f1.4s, to SLR Magic (the 10mm is the gem and the 25mm is nice as well), then some Zeiss S16s, and now have Optar Illuminas. They have the best range outside of the Ultra 16s or Optica Elites which I could never justify owning. The cost of the CY f1.4s with Leitax mount, Speedbooster, and cine-mod isn't any cheaper than getting purpose built S16 lenses or even the Veydras.

I only shoot narrative as a hobby and do so with my friends as well. You've just got to hustle, don't be afraid to ask permission or just shoot guerrilla if you know you'll never get it, though you may be surprised. I once shot in a Best Buy using my SD card in one of their display cameras. I couldn't get the card in because of the anti-theft tether. I asked the clerk to come over and remove it so I record some test footage, dude said "no problem, let me get the key"

We have used adapted CY Zeiss and Yashica with the 2.5 and pocket and their respective Metabones speedboosters since the adapters became available (at least 2 years probably 3 by now). No problems to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Marckusw View Post
    We have used adapted CY Zeiss and Yashica with the 2.5 and pocket and their respective Metabones speedboosters since the adapters became available (at least 2 years probably 3 by now). No problems to report.
    My concern is that I want to use EF modified contact Zeiss lenses on the EF speedbooster, I know there be no issue with the cy adapter. But unfortunately it's seems like I'd need to Dremel some of the protruding metal out of the way to not contact the EF speedboosters glass element, which is a bummer as I'm not sure I want to mess with the lenses that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    My concern is that I want to use EF modified contact Zeiss lenses on the EF speedbooster, I know there be no issue with the cy adapter. But unfortunately it's seems like I'd need to Dremel some of the protruding metal out of the way to not contact the EF speedboosters glass element, which is a bummer as I'm not sure I want to mess with the lenses that much.
    Yes, you will need to do that. I went with the zhongyi lens turbo II instead. It's not perfect, but sort of gets the job done.