Thread: Anyone thinks BMD will have a Holiday discount?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Might want to wait a month and see if/how the GH5s pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    You don't have to be offended by it.)
    Why would I be offended?

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    If the did a 50% like they did the BMPCC A few years back, many will be able to afford it. That will be like 1495$. That's almost the price of the educational discount of the GH5.
    The sale on the BMPCC was a one time inventory clearing thing. BMD is new to the consumer electronics market and they have done a number of radical, unconventional and frankly screwball things with their pricing. I wouldn't count on a repeat. They are trailblazers and they are learning as they go.

For a business sales are terrible. It conditions people to buy things at unsustainable prices. I live in the US and the "sale" culture here is ridiculous. Stores are on sale ever other day. You feel like an idiot if you pay the price printed on an item. Of course now our retail market is getting totally wrecked. So many local stores are going out of business. In many markets you have at most one electronics store... Best Buy, and of course no photography stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    You don't have to be offended by it. It's just a recognition that it's an odd practice for a tech company to never discount their old stuff. They'd certainly have more of my money, another 600-700 bucks if they put a discount on, but instead I'm giving that money to someone on eBay
    That's good. It maintains the value of the BMPCC on the secondary market. I borrowed the money to buy the BMPCC for $500. It was 100% a no brainer. Thanks to Blackmagic I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

I'm glad I went with Blackmagic instead of Panasonic. My camera has appreciated instead of depreciating drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Best Buy, and of course no photography stores.
    I have a photography store near me, but every time I go in there, I do scoff at the prices. Everything from memory cards, tripods, lenses; I can find cheaper online, new. It's just really hard for me to justify paying more, when I can just wait 1-3 days and get something 10% less.

Playing devils advocate I find asking price for second hand gears on BMCUSER and every other forums almost always redicilousely high. For example why would I want to buy a BMMCC without Resolve dongle and almost 2yrs old with an expired warranty for 650 when I can pick up a new one for 824. I can sell the Resolve dongle for 175 and basically bought a brand new BMMCC with full 1yr warranty for the same price.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 12-14-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Playing devils advocate I find asking price for second hand gears on BMCUSER and every other forums almost always redicilousely high. For example why would I want to buy a BMMCC without Resolve dongle and almost 2yrs old with an expired warranty for 650 when I can pick up a new one for 824. I can sell the Resolve dongle for 175 and basically bought a brand new BMMCC with full 1yr warranty for the same price.
    If the micro comes with a resolve dongle then I've been ripped off. I don't think it does, mine didn't.

I might be mistaken. I saw someone selling one with Resolve dongle.
    Even so 650 is still steep for an almost 2yrs old used BMMCC without warranty. Gladly pay the extra 174 for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by wreck2 View Post
    I have a photography store near me, but every time I go in there, I do scoff at the prices. Everything from memory cards, tripods, lenses; I can find cheaper online, new. It's just really hard for me to justify paying more, when I can just wait 1-3 days and get something 10% less.
    That's the trade off. Keep buying online and the local store goes out of business. It's a tough choice. I had the same issue with memory cards myself. Shooting raw you need dirt cheap storage. If you buy local you end up spending more on media than you did on your $500 BMPCC!

I do buy analog film local when I can... at a semi reasonable price.

Playing devils advocate I find asking price for second hand gears on BMCUSER and every other forums almost always redicilousely high.
    Not sure how that is a "devil's advocate" position. No one in this thread is talking about the aspirational prices on forums. Forums are by definition a terrible mechanism for price discovery. Craigslist and Ebay give you a much better idea of where the market is. Honestly I find on Craigslist and Ebay you can SELL gear for MORE than you can on a forum. I really don't care what the listed price is. I want to know the prices where money changed hands. On a BMPCC money has changed hands north of $500 US on Ebay. That's what I base my projections on.

If everyone is selling second hand gears at redicilousely high prices on dedicated forums it hardly encourage the manufacturer to drop its prices. Of course sellers sell their gears as much as they can, that is understandable and as long as buyers willing to pay the price, and this also means less likely a price drop on new product. Devils advocate.

If everyone is selling second hand gears at redicilousely high prices on dedicated forums it hardly encourage the manufacturer to drop its prices. Of course sellers sell their gears as much as they can, that is understandable and as long as buyers willing to pay the price, and this also means less likely a price drop on new product. Devils advocate.
    Soooo... you are complaining about there being a robust healthy after market for Blackmagic gear and lack of incentive for the manufacture to slash prices?

Every economics class I've taken has told me stable prices are a good thing. What am I missing?

And I have to say I don't agree with your general thesis. Blackmagic has had to make numerous substantial permanent price cuts on a number of their products as well as running temporary 50% and BOGO sales. They are working hard to get their pricing right. As they get more experience and become a more mature company in this field these aberrations should become less and less.

Buying a damn good camera at a reasonable price and having it hold its value is the ultimate goal.